Railroad Forums 

• Paper trains

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#315064  by Rockingham Racer

There was a discussion on the B&M forum about milk trains in days of yore.
The Boston and Maine also used to run at least one "paper train" back when. It left North Station heading to Portland, ME around 3AM with the newpapers (and a coach or two I imagine), and it stopped at just about everyone's back door: exaggerated, but it was a local, if there ever was one.
Anyone know of paper trains on other railroads before the interstates took hold?
 #315235  by Noel Weaver

Rockingham Racer wrote:There was a discussion on the B&M forum about milk trains in days of yore.
The Boston and Maine also used to run at least one "paper train" back when. It left North Station heading to Portland, ME around 3AM with the newpapers (and a coach or two I imagine), and it stopped at just about everyone's back door: exaggerated, but it was a local, if there ever was one.
Anyone know of paper trains on other railroads before the interstates took hold?
There were plenty of them especially out of New York. On the New Haven
there were "wee hour" trains to New Haven, Springfield and Boston,
Waterbury/Winsted and Stamford. Out of Boston to New York, Hyannis
and probably other points as well.
Especially heavy were Saturday night/Sunday "wee hours" trains with the
Sunday papers from New York which were, at one time, big sellers all over
southern New England and virtually all of them traveled by train.
Not only did these trains make a lot of stops but there was generally a
good deal of station dwell time at each stop to handle the papers and also
mail that rode on most of these trains.
Noel Weaver
 #318322  by 2nd trick op

Lackawanna had a Saturday-night-only "paper train" which ran at least as far as Scranton, and probably Binghamton, for many years.

Also, one of the O&W books makes mention of delivery of papers to the Catskill resort area which was a good source of traffic; not sure whether this required a special schedule, however.