Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Woodland Spur

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1112045  by carchecker

Snowplow MEC 373 is sitting in McAdam yard. It arrived from Woodland on the northbound Friday. I assume since Pan Am does not own the spur anymore they want their snowplow back!
 #1112052  by MEC407

Are you sure it's 373 and not 73? If the number was 373 it would conflict with one of their locomotives.
 #1112513  by MEC407

Thanks!
 #1112980  by RRBUFF

The rails to the OSB Mill are still in place but OOS. Seems that there is something being planned with the distribution of the Natural gas pipeline into the mill. Nothing definite yet. Also there are scales being placed at the mill to weigh cars of logs and chips coming into the mill.
 #1112994  by carchecker

If they are running the gas pipeline into the OSB plant something is obviously in the works. Have you noticed anything being built yet to unload the chip cars? Also how much trackwork did they do between Milltown and Woodland? I saw a fair number of MMA ballast cars heading that way from McAdam in the last month or two.
 #1113097  by RRBUFF

They are still bucketing the chips out of the cars. Not the best way yet but they are planning something as the chip cars are not lined up where they were being unloaded. They have replaced many ties, leveled the track with new balast and tamped the line. As you drive up route 1 in the Moosehorn Refuge you can see the line has been raised. There has been much done since the Wodland mill took over the line.
 #1131963  by Cowford

"Seems that there is something being planned with the distribution of the Natural gas pipeline into the mill."

That's what this article confirms...

http://www.pressherald.com/business/No- ... oblem.html

"Xpress Natural Gas is building the Baileyville compressor station inside the former Louisiana-Pacific strandboard mill, so tankers can be filled regardless of weather conditions."

Nice to see that industry is coming up with innovative solutions to meet mill energy needs.
 #1182837  by carchecker

I have noticed quite a few 50' boxes heading for Woodland the last couple of days. I assume they are loading woodpulp again. However my question is whether or not this is a temporary thing with excess woodpulp being sold or the start of new long term business.
 #1183040  by RRBUFF

From what I understand some of the excess woodpulp from the mill is being sold and shipped out by rail. An interesting note is that they have recently been sending out pulp by ship containers out of Saint John NB The mill has commitments for the long term which seem to be considered first.
 #1193607  by carchecker

Need your help again RRBUFF. They are loading wdpulp again in 50ft boxes at the Woodland mill but this time when it arrives in McAdam it is heading east instead of west. I was wondering if NB Southern has convinced them to ship by rail to Saint John instead of containers on trucks?
 #1194031  by RRBUFF

I haven't got any new info on this yet. I heard they had a new customer that would be getting pulp out of Saint John that was the earlier container shipments. Perhaps they will load containers from the rail in Saint John. There are some Canadian truckers coming into the mill also. These are box trailors not containers. Much is still going to Eastport every day.
 #1194651  by carchecker

Talked to the south crew out of McAdam today RRBUFF and they informed me the wdpulp is indeed going to the port of Saint John. They had a trial shipment of 30 cars and were pleased with delivery time and now have ordered 80 more cars. Being shipped out to China on the new container line calling at the port...MSC.
 #1194661  by fogg1703

Great news about the pulp export. Even better that boxes are being used to ship to Saint John. Is the mill still receiving pulpwood? Are they short lengths of pulpwood or tree-length?