Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Southern / Patriot Corridor Discussion

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

#1631905  by BlueFlag

Project in VO appears to be proceeding apace. Video posted on Facebook shows that, according to the poster, the new switch that will connect NS and CSX was installed today.

https://www.facebook.com/694894077/vide ... 5676389831

Since this is posted on a private CSX Albany Division Sightings page, the video (and photos previously cited in above posts) are likely to be unavailable to those who are not registered page members.
 #1632048  by F74265A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MBxbXcX8Zk

This video shows the construction at VO in the background. You can see a prefab turnout on the ground on the north side of the tracks and where the main track has been prepped for quick installation on the south side where the new grade meets the csx main -- looks like the cwr has been cut and a short section of jointed rail has been installed.
 #1632076  by taracer

taracer wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:42 pm The CWR was installed towards the end of last month. No work at the actual junction yet, but it will not follow the curves of the current connection.

Expect a switch good for 30 MPH to be installed, the current hand throw one is left over from when the diamond was still around.
That is at least a 30 MPH switch AKA medium speed, and the ROW has been realigned just like I said.
 #1632079  by newpylong

It will be interesting to see how they deal with the DCS to CTC switchover and two railroads. I assume they'll have to reinstall the distant signal to VO on the Albany Main so they can rip right onto the Selkirk Sub at 25 like they want. Then I guess they'll have to get better than a Restricting leaving the Selkirk Sub.
 #1632083  by taracer

newpylong wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:44 pm It will be interesting to see how they deal with the DCS to CTC switchover and two railroads. I assume they'll have to reinstall the distant signal to VO on the Albany Main so they can rip right onto the Selkirk Sub at 25 like they want. Then I guess they'll have to get better than a Restricting leaving the Selkirk Sub.
They're going to need a intermediate signal somewhere in there on the NS side, with the best signal at the new VO eastbound being a medium clear and westbound being a medium approach.  Kind of like heading west into Selkirk yard on the Inbound, the best you can get at SK is a medium approach, since its diverging, going into an end of block sign about 1.5 miles west of SK.

It will be like that for the NS trains heading west from VO, the NS signal won't have to be signaled for westbound movements. There will be a sign on the back of that eastbound signal marking the beginning of the DCS territory.

They will be able to do track speed already having the block authority form their dispatcher..

My guess is that NS will put that signal west of the second crossing, near the wye for the industrial park on their line. They may even remove the hand throw switch at the east end of the wye.
 #1632096  by johnpbarlow

What the level of track 2 traffic congestion is these days on the 5 miles between CP-VO and CP-FB given this is the only track NS trackage rights trains will be able to use between Voorheesville and the west end of Selkirk yard. Years back, it seemed a regular occurrence that trains would pause around Game Farm Rd waiting to get into the yard but I may be misremembering.

And FWIW, the opposing NS IM trains won't be able to pass on this stretch of CSX. If the 2 NS trains meet in this area, it would have to be at either Delanson or Selkirk. I'm guessing as a general rule, NS will change crews at Delanson rather than on the Albany Main?
 #1632100  by QB 52.32

I think it's a question of slotting presumably worked out in the negotiations in reaching the trackage rights deal. My quick and dirty take, all things considered, is that in expanded slots the eastbound will likely be fleeted with I022 and westbound with I017 (and M205 only on the B&A as far west as Selkirk).
 #1632112  by taracer

They still hold back around Game Farm Rd, but for the NS trains it will probably be like QB52.32 says, they'll have slots fleeted in between existing trains. Following 017 seems likely to me too, or maybe in between 017 and 019. The intermodal trains can keep a somewhat regular time.