Railroad Forums 

• Palmetto - Train 89 Incident

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1378237  by CVRA7

Anyone know anything concerning an incident with train 89 south of Philadelphia?
 #1378244  by glennk419

RIP to the deceased. This is another sad day for Amtrak.
 #1378246  by Darien Red Sox

Fox News reported that the 2 dead are the backhoe operators and 4 injuries aboard the train, one life threatening.

Thoughts and prays with the victims and engineer.
 #1378253  by tvachon

This is horrible. While I don't know the area well, I don't see any grade crossings on the maps. Would this mean this backhoe was supposed to be in the area, likely doing track work? I just can't find another way it was on the tracks.
 #1378257  by glennk419

Correct, there are no grade crossings on the NEC and there was MOW work going on. This is indeed very tragic for all involved.
 #1378261  by jayrmli

From the looks at some of the pictures of the accident, it looks like the backhoe might have been working the outer track and was fouling the adjacent track. Looks like the locomotive struck the backhoe and spun it back around, hitting the lead car as it went by.
 #1378269  by Jeff Smith

Some of the news I've seen suggests the two MOW employees had over 40 years service. Prayers to their families and for the crew and passengers. I'm sure more details will be forthcoming.
 #1378280  by Ryand-Smith

glennk419 wrote:Correct, there are no grade crossings on the NEC and there was MOW work going on. This is indeed very tragic for all involved.
There are 5 or so in Connecticut near 150MPH operations zones, and I hope the familes find out before the media leaks it
 #1378284  by matawanaberdeen

Very, very sad news indeed. Thoughts and prayers go out to the families. Don't forget the engineer who I'm sure is having tough time with this as well.
 #1378287  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

After reading breaking news on this accident this morning and seeking further information:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/real ... ester.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.6abc.com/news/2-dead-in-amtr ... d/1274225/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/0 ... suspended/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From seeing pictures of this accident #627 derailed its front truck and suffered significant front end
damage - both front windshields were shattered but intact. This visible damage looks repairable but
perhaps there was internal damage that will be found later. The front end video camera more then
likely will show how this occurred - before the windshield was broken by the impact.

The first Amfleet car 82993 has some damage on one side around two windows - again this looks repairable.

Thankfully the train crew and passengers are accounted for and there were no more then a few perhaps serious
injuries on board the train. My condolences go out to the families of the two MofW Employees that died in this
accident along with the Engineer of Train 89.

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1378289  by twropr

Train dispatchers are supposed to apply blocking devices on their control panels to prevent the track being occupied by m/w equipment from operating a train between the interlockings on either side of the m/w equipment. Will be interesting to see how the investigation turns out.
Andy
 #1378294  by DutchRailnut

train was not on track being worked on , backhoe was fouling active track .