Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by BlockLine_4111

When did Pall last receive freight and were they ever a BIG customer ?
IIRC they are in East Hills right on the commuter line.

by NIMBYkiller

East Hills, that'd be the OB line, right?

by 9C1LT1

Yup, Its on the Oyster Bay Branch. The tracks are not tied in anymore, but you can still see them behind Paul Corp.
  by cookieman

The Pall Corporation Never Received Rail Service. The plant in the 50's and 60's, was the home of Helena Rubenstein Cosmetics. The plant was sold to Pall around 1977. I would guess rail service to the plant ended in the early seventys.

by Legio X

Are there any other disconnected spurs on the O.B. Branch?

by RRChef

One piece of track that always caught my attention when I was in Oyster Bay is past the station and the turntable. There is track in the road that leads to park, it crosses the road and then heads for the docks. A good length of it is still visable. Anyone know what this used to service?
  by SG

Legio X
There were a few "spur tracks on th OB branch.
Roslyn had a freight track off #1
PAll,Rubenstein,off #2
Glen Head off #2
Sea Cliff off#2
Locust Valley off #2 Nassau Suffolk lumber
East Williston off#2 west of the station
Mineola off #1 Wilson meat east of nassau
  by John 61

I don't know if the building is still there but just to the left of the Yacht club enterence was a grey building the used to be Oyster Bay Lumber.
  by atkelly

Here are some more: Now ripped up- is the Glen Cove freight track off #2 at the Glen Street Station- Where the health club is now. Additionally there was also a spur off of track #1 that serviced the coal distributor next to what is now Peirsall Apartments. There was also a spur, off of track one that served the coal yard In Oyster Bay, there was also a track that ran off to the ship yard.

The tracks that run onto the pier was at one point a part of the LIRR ambition to go to be a connector to Boston. Those tracks led to the Ferry that carried the cars across the sound.

by BlockLine_4111

Nice bit of history. When I am back east next week maybe I'll check out the OB line.

by Dave Keller

The track crossing the road and continuing towards the dock once accessed the Oyster Bay Oyster Co.

I have a couple of photos from years back of the old steam rail crane they used.

Also, the siding west of the station, and north of the tracks accessed Jakobsen Shipyard. I worked at Jakes as a shipfitter for about 2 years before I got laid off.

Right alongside the LIRR ROW, and behind Jakobsen's fence was an air powered 1/4 turn turntable, used to get the sail boats in and out of the boat house that was parallel to the LIRR tracks. The boats came out, spun 90 degrees on the 1/4 table and headed north towards the water. Reverse this to put the boats away.

There were also a number of sidings around East Williston back in the 50s.

Dave Keller

by NIMBYkiller

I don't know why I forgot about this before. Pall is actually only a few hundred feet from the OB line. It's on the southern side of 25A. It's just east of the LIRR bridge over 25A.

by 9C1LT1

Thats correct Jared! You can still see the rail in their parking lot... Were you thinking of their Port Wash. location off West Shore Road? Did Commander Fuel Oil in Oyster Bay ever receive rail freight service, or just oil tanker service via. LI sound?

-Barry

by NIMBYkiller

It's more that it just never really registered.

by Legio X

Yes, what about Commander Oil in Oyster Bay? It's well-placed for rail service.

Also, did'nt Commander Oil have a facility next to the Garden City Yard? Did they ever receive rail service there?