Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by thrdkilr

Can anyone tell me what the paint schemes for the 60's era thiche (DA on the spelling) and wave looked like for both the ALCO's and the thier coaches? Thanks in advance...

MAC

by Dave Keller

If you're trying to spell "Tichy", that color scheme was the early 1950s, not 60s.

As for the 60s, here is a typical view of the "Wave" on a C420 and an RS3. It looked pretty much the same on the RS2 units.

The cars were painted charcoal gray with the "Dashing Dan" logo on the sides at opposite ends.

The only orange used on the cars started during the World's Fair. They had an orange stripe along the windows.

Some had both of the logos: "Your Steel Thruway to the Fair Gateway" and "Travel Easy on the Long Island Rail Road." Some only had one of the logos.

Dave Keller

by Paul

once again, the great Mr. Keller beats me to the quick!I believe the Tichey scheme was an attempt to de-Pennsy the LIRR. Not lasting very long and I belive was gone by 1955. It was used on as delivered first wave of F-M units and on some RS1. The paint was changed when Tom Goodfellow arrived and then it was Orange ends with Grey carbodies, chainged in 1964 with the arrival of the Centuries. Some of the P and MP series cars recieved the Tichey paint, being light Gray with silver roofs.
These photos are from "Alco, Official Color Photography" by Walter A. Appel.Image LIRR 467 in Tichey.

Image LIRR 200 as delivered with small fuel tank.

Image LIRR 211. Note large fuel tank.

Image First of the L2s and the only C420s built with the Hi-Ad trucks. MTA paint scheme.

By the way, How many RS3s had the as delivered black cab roof?

I hope this helps a little. :-D

by Dave Keller

Here's a Tichy C-liner at Patchogue:

And the Goodfellow-era paint scheme, on the wye at Ronkonkoma:

Here is a P54 passenger car in the Tichy color scheme at patchogue. The old coaling ramp is visible in the right rear background:

Dave Keller

by thrdkilr

Thank you Dave and Paul! Tichy didn't have orange ends? Was there a name for the grey with orange ends? Also, what came after the P-72's? Thanks again guys...

Mac

by Paul

As you can see in the photo of the photo of 467, it's not really orange but closer to a scarlet red. Same as thing on the pilot of the C-Liner that apears as white on the B&W photograph. Dave, did you use a yellow filter when you took it? The simple orange ends with grey carbody would be the "Goodfellow" scheme.

by Dave Keller

Paul:
I didn't take either of the C-liner shots, however, #2005 was taken by a friend of mine who always used a yellow filter to get the sky to appear in his photos.

Thrdkilr:
What do you mean about the P72s? What style came after them or what happened to the P72s themselves?

There was a color scheme directly after Tichy which consisted of dark gray car body with orange end doors and the "LI" logo in the circle plus the modernization number in a circle.

Following that came the charcoal gray car bodies which had the "Dashing Dan" logo.

Both occurred during Goodfellow's tenure. I don't know the "official" name (if there was one) of the color schemes.

Here's Tichy on an MU:

Here's dark grey with orange doors:
Dave Keller