• Pacific Surfliner Business Class

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by scannergeek

My mother just got back from a trip using the Pacific Surfliner Corridor. I upgraded her to Business Class.
On both trips, she tried to use the at-seat video monitors, but they did not work each time.
The car attendant said he thought they only played DVD's, but he wasn't sure. The conductor said no one's ever asked him about the video monitors before, so he didn't know how (or if) they worked.

So does anyone here know what those video monitors actually do? Do they work or have they been disconnected?

It was a good thing I upgraded her, because the train home (to Fullerton) was standing-room only in the coaches. With business class you can't reserve an actual seat number, but at least you're guaranteed a seat.
  by jp1822

I've ridden in business class along this route at least twice and my experience was that some video monitors worked and some did not. I sat in a seat where the video monitors worked both times, my last trip being around Memorial Day 2004. What was being shown was mostly sitcoms (i.e. Friends episodes as I recall). So I guess it is hit or miss. Did enjoy the reserved seat and complimentary snacks, newspaper, and beverages. Great value for a $9 upgrade - and this upgrade price is pretty standard I believe.

PS - Out of all of Amtrak's corridor equipment, I enjoy the Pacific Surfliner trainsets the best. I used to consider it a toss up between the Acela Express trainsets and Surfliners, but the bi-level Surfliner has taken the prize lately for me. The Surfliner, Acela Express and Pacfic Northwest Talgo equipment are my top three favorite corridor equipment.

by scannergeek

I've never ridden in business class, but it sounds like a good deal especially when coach is standing-room only.

On the departure trip, they handled snacks and drinks the same way they do in a sleeping car...they leave everything on a counter and everyone helps themselves.

On the return trip (when the train was full) the attendant went around and took drink orders. My mom asked him for another soda later on, but he said he could only give out one drink per passenger. It's understandable, given this was a peak-hour train. If they left everything out for people to take what they wanted, it would be gone before the next station!

She gave me her snack bag when I met her. I'm impressed at all the goodies in there. There is more food in there than in a Southwest Airlines Snack Box!

by AmtrakFan

Yes Scanner Geek it sounds like they have more food there than on the Airplanes also I wish they had that type of Equitment in the Midwest.

AmtrakFan

by mersk862

I for one will say that I prefer Surfliner coach to Acela Express business. To me, it seemed there was more legroom on the Surfliner, and I liked being up high (I hadn't been on a bi-level for 10 years...MBTA doesn't run them on northside, and I don't take Amtrak that often...) I skipped the upgrade since I was on the 45 minute Anaheim-Los Angeles run, but next time I might consider it, especially if I'm going all the way down to San Diego.

Jeff

by jp1822

mersk862 wrote:I for one will say that I prefer Surfliner coach to Acela Express business. To me, it seemed there was more legroom on the Surfliner, and I liked being up high...next time I might consider it, especially if I'm going all the way down to San Diego.

Jeff
I agree with your comments. You get even more legroom in the Pacific Surfliner Business Class car! The Acela Express seats are getting to the point that the needed more padding in the cushions. Perhaps it's good and bad - good that this could mean lots of riders and seats get worn out - bad in regards to poor quality seat manufacturer. Not sure what the explanation is on that one. For a LA - San Diego trip - the $9 upgrade is a pretty good deal considering the snacks, beverage, onboard video entertainment (if it works), and extra leg room. Would have liked to see some of the qualities in the First Class Section of the Acela Express trainsets - at the very least.