Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by mlrr

I was wondering for some time now.

Do trains powered by P32s with bombardier cars ever see the lower level. I don't recall ever seeing anything of the sort down there in recent memory but I would assume that if they do not use the lower level, it's probably due to the steep grades but then gain, maybe the locomotive can handle it.

Anyway, if these trains as described above do not use the lower level, can anyone explain the reasons why?

Thanks

by mkm4

On the very rare occassion they have been known to go to the lower level.

by DutchRailnut

Normaly no , there is no plug ins(480) for the bombardier equipment on lower level. there are no restrictions on any moves like that however.

by RedSoxSuck

Dutch, maybe you can confirm this (or declare it utterly false):

I have heard that in addition to what has already been mentioned, that diesles are kept upstairs as much as possible so in the event of a fire (which is more likely in a diesel than an electric) that only the upper level would be taken out of service, leaving the lower level available. If the fire is on the lower level, then the smoke will render both levels unusuable. Now, I ask the question, if there is a diesel fire upstairs, wouldn't the fire department make everyone evacuate the entire building, if not the met life building as well (and therefore make having the LL available pointless)?

Dutch, if I am wrong, please let me know.

by DutchRailnut

In case of fire the entire terminal would be evacuated. and most electrical fires can be more intense compared to diesel fires.
again there is no restrictions on diesels on lower level.