Railroad Forums 

• Other Crafts

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#123603  by Akduke

I am wondering why everyone wants to go into train service? There is more to railroading then conductor, brakemen, and engineers. Is it for the glory of riding a trian? There are more careers then train service, like carmen, mechanics, and locomotive electricians ( which I am one.) Any comments are welcomed.

#123609  by Avro Arrow

They don't pay as much

#123810  by Swedish Meatball

You are right they do not pay as much but, on the other hand you have a normal schedule and can plan on doing things with you family and friends.

#123894  by UPRR engineer

I think there is soo much talk on here about those jobs because they are hiring so often. Your are right Akduke, mechanical jobs are good jobs. I got to spend three days with the guys at the pit during engine service training. Theres not alot of glory in it, but those are good jobs. I wouldnt have minded hiring out at the pit. I dont think i would have liked working in the car department as much though, but it still would have been a good job. At least around here, the mechanical guys dont complain as much as the train service boys do.

#124074  by slotcanyoneer

I also think that when most people think about working for the railroad the first thing that naturally comes to mind is an engineer or conductor. I think most people outside of the rr that haven't really seen it don't understand that there are a broad range of careers associated with the railroad. Also with some other positions such as a carman, mechanic, welder, etc. they do require a certain amount of skill and knowlege which not as many people have, however to be a conductor all you basically need is a clean driving and criminal record and a solid work history.

#124342  by JasonA

I have considered trying to hire in as a welder, but that's still up in the air. I am leaving this open as an option, after I see how I fair at getting into the Pipe Fitters. I do have a sponser for the Pipe Fitters though, so that will more than likely be the route I go, and at $35 an hour, it pays better!

#124504  by n2qmt

Mechanical trades are definately good. I, however, don't have a mechanical bone in my body. So I am going to be a dispatcher. Lots of pressure, stress, and mind exercise. Now THAT'S the ticket! :-) Cheers.

John