• OT question - Montauk Branch

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by TuckertonRR

I am going to a concert this weekend in East Hampton and was planning to take the Montauk line. Is anyone here, familiar with East Hampton, that could reccommend an affordable place to spend the night (or at least 5-6 hours till the 7:30 am train)? I've never been to LI before. Any thoughts on the ride out there, places, etc. will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Bob

by jayrmli

Never had the pleasure of having to find a hotel/motel out that way, as I live kind of close, but I can tell you the phrase "affordable place to stay on Long Island" is definely an oxymoron! :-D

Since this is the Summer and you're looking to stay in the Hamptons, I wish you luck. Sorry I can't help out more.

Jay

by bingdude

If you can get a ride to Montauk after your concert, there is a Motel there. I forgot the name of it but it's right on the side of Montauk Highway.
(The Rolling Stones hid out there some years ago).

That is about as affordable as you are likely to find out that way. There won't be anything in the Motel 6 price range.

by RRChef

The name of the motel you are talking about in Montauk is the Memory Motel (as in the title of the song by the Rolling Stones) If you listen to the lyrics of the song, it pretty much describes Montauk.

I really doubt if you will find a vacancy in Montauk or any other South Fork village this weekend. Your best bet might be to head back west into Central Suffolk County and look for a place there.

by TuckertonRR

thanks for the help!
Is there anything along the lines of a 24-hr diner or truck stop in the area, since I would just need somewhere to stay for 4-6 hrs (not really spending the whole night) just until the 7am train to the city?

by NIMBYkiller

Dude, if there was a truck stop anywhere on Long Island I'd do a jig. Only hotel I know of is I think a Mariott off the LIE. Not sure exactly where it is.

I think your best bet is to see if Hampton Jitney has any buses going back west round the time the concert ends, which I highly doubt.

Sorry man.