Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#275325  by checkthedoorlight

sorry if this question is too off topic, but what is the deal with the "passenger yard" in Stamford? I didn't even realize there WAS catenary in it, and the name sounds misleading since all I've ever seen in that yard are freight cars and occasionally M/W equipment.

#275331  by DutchRailnut

its only used for wire train and freight so the wire could be removed if need be.
Yup the freight yard is used for passenger cars, the passenger yard is used for freight, Stamford has loop track thats straight as arrow.
A back door with no knob and Fuel pad without fuel, and a few more weird names here and there.

#278076  by Clean Cab

Track #4 between CP 261 and CP 266 was returned to service Saturday (8/5/06) thus completing all catenary replacement in area "D".
 #280914  by nh chris

I suppose this is on a slightly different topic, but are the old New Haven catenary towers in the New Rochelle area going to be dismantled once the new towers are completed? What's there now includes a few new towers just a few feet from the 100-year-old ones.

#280961  by Clean Cab

The new catenary towers will be mixed with the old. However a few old catenary towers will be removed and replaced with new ones in slightly different locations.

#390161  by DutchRailnut

Only one track completed (track 3) but un-usable due to bridges being out.
And untill track 3 is back the project with wire is on hold, why delay with bridges, somehow the steel needed has not been produced yet.

#390698  by Howiew

Dutch...living in upstate New York, one doesn't keep up with what's happening downstate.
What bridges are out?
Wish list...would like to get a small piece of original cat when it's replaced.

#390710  by DutchRailnut

One at east end of South Norwalk platform over monroe street.
One at Darien over Boston Post Road (rt1)
The one at Rowayton is finished (Rowayton Ave)

#390791  by Clean Cab

This is only the first stage of "Catenary Project B" (CP235 to CP 241). It is being held up by the track 3 bridge at South Norwalk which is running a year behind schedule. The contractor who got the bid to provide all the steel for the South Norwalk project got bought out by a larger steel company and the re-organisation has meant many late steel deliveries. It should be back in service by late June 2007.

#390824  by Howiew

Thank you for the replies. One more question. Will they still be using the original catenary towers? I know the bow towers by Glenbrook will be if not already history.
I hope that someone will post pictures of the project.

#391128  by Clean Cab

Yes, they will use as many of the old catenary towers as possible. There will of course be quite a few new ones installed around curves and through interlockings. Unfortunately the experimental "Bow Tie" catenaries are going to be removed. I'm hoping that at least one of them could be salvaged and displayed at a museum.

#391145  by L'mont

Anyway we could see a picture or read an explaination of what a "bow tie" cat is?

I don't believe I'm familiar.

#391757  by Howiew

L'mont wrote:Anyway we could see a picture or read an explaination of what a "bow tie" cat is?

I don't believe I'm familiar.
I have couple of pictures but don't think that I can post them due to bandwith. Plus not sure how to upload to this site anyway.
Sorry!

#391772  by Otto Vondrak

Here's a pic I shot in 2002:

http://www.railroad.net/photos/nycarea/media/ov-04.jpg

You can see the curved catenary tower right behind the MU.

-otto-
http://www.railroad.net/photos/nycarea/index.php