• Original K5's returning to the DE/DM's

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by M1 9147

For those of you who haven't noticed, the K5 horns that had the Canadien type chime, are now being replaced by the original type K5 horn. You can notice this by the new bug cone, and horn which are all black. Also I noticed that the cone in front of the horn is plastic, and not the screen type. First engine noticed is DE30AC 422 running on PJ.

by Frank

Why are the horns being replaced?

by Long Island 7285

they shoulda never been made to sound like the canaidan K5s in the first place.

the hell with the NIMBYs (reason for replacement to begin with)

? is...

if there is NO horn and you CANT here or see a on comeing trian, you get hit,

Whos at fault? you for being an asshole? or the railroad in mention? or the feds for alowing "quite zones" write ur politicans and find out, i might just do that.

by emfinite

Joe, the horns don't sound that much different and in more cases than none, the current DE/DM horns are much louder than an American style K5LA. What do NIMBYs have to do with changing horns? I hear the FRA has something to do with this, it isn't NIMBYs.

I talked to one of the gang foremen at Morris Park tonight and he said that they will be changed yearly from now on. The horns that were on the DE/DM units are being sent back to Nathan to be reconditioned, rebuilt and sold.

Joe

by Long Island 7285

Nimbys want quite zones and less horn blowing and low volume horns, everything the FRA dont want.

the FRA mandate is to blow a longer 14L at crossings

by M1 9147

Eh to those 2 Joes, like I always said move the horns to the original locations like they were when the locos were first delivered.

by mainline

Actually nimbys were responsible for the KL5's being added. Residents in Bayport(other locations also) complained regarding the noise from the original setup. The railroad wanted to be a good neighbor.

by Long Island 7285

I say (profanity) the nimbys and just blast the horns wide open. letem have it. its plain and simple and in black and white. if you DONT LIKE the railroad noise then MOVE GET THE (profanity) OUT

the LIRR tryed to be nice and they still dont have any respect, like that moron east of PD that calls every time the scoot is laid up by the school house track. i say take a K5 at 3AM to his front yard and have some fun.

by SeldenJrFireman

I say (profanity) the nimbys and just blast the horns wide open. letem have it. its plain and simple and in black and white. if you DONT LIKE the railroad noise then MOVE GET THE (profanity) OUT

the LIRR tryed to be nice and they still dont have any respect, like that moron east of PD that calls every time the scoot is laid up by the school house track. i say take a K5 at 3AM to his front yard and have some fun.

I couldn't agree more!!!

by LIRRNOVA55

3 ALCo C636's with Nathon K7LAs :P

by AmtrakPhill629

The DE/DM should keep the Canadien type chime horns they sound much better than the American type although the Canadien chime is not that loud.

by LIRailfan79

Long Island 7285 wrote: if there is NO horn and you CANT here or see a on comeing trian, you get hit,

not at all. if you're not on the tracks (where you're not supposed to be in the first place) then you don't get hit. it's that simple. trains could operate without lights or horns and you should still never get hit.

by Long Island 7285

LIrailfan,

i know that, but remember that we live in moderen america, and people are getting less and less educated with commonsence ans more and more educated with 100% stupidity. I have herd and seen trains with NO lights and NO horns blowing, though i couldent "see" it clearly,(meaning not head lights) i still knew it was comeing. but thats because i know about railroads, and i want to know its comeing, im not the average rear end that wants to play chicken and become the "fresh kill" on the locomotives coupler. lota people think that a train can stop on a dime and even reverse and go back to pick that dime up all while letting a few ignorent Aholes beat it,

sorry Aholes it dont work that way.

by RPM2Night

Neil Feldman wrote:Eh to those 2 Joes, like I always said move the horns to the original locations like they were when the locos were first delivered.
Amtrak runs near my area, and they use the AMD103 type locomotives....and the horn set up is back about a third to a half way back, and it's still increadibly loud. I don't think moving the horn anywhere on the locomotive will make much difference. Hell,it would still be loud if the horn was mounted on the rear of the loco.

by tushykushy

I personally think Leslie's are loud. You think K5's are loud? Have you ever heard a S3 or a S5?

For a useless fact believe it or not not all M1's have the same Leslie horns. Some have a pointy "tail" on the back. Those are the ones that are incredibly loud, since the way it's designed and the way the air travels.

Also some horns are arranged differently so it sounds different. The trumpets are rated 1-5, with 1 being the longest trumpet and 5 being the shortest trumpet. 5's are usually found on the back of DE30's. That funky horn everyone talks about (NYA 271) it has two 1's, 2 4a's and a number 3 trumpet. It's a modified K5.

You also have to factor the carbon build up wear-and-tear. Horns do go out of tune as well (gaskets could be bad, which leads to air leaks.)