• One Upon Time At KO, 2 GP7s, 2GP9s 4 RS3s, a Ping Pong &

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Paul

I took this picture one lazy Sunday afternoon, sometime in August if I remember. Sorry about the damage to the slide but if I ever thought ahead thirty plus years, I may have taken steps to prevent it from happening.
Notice the ping pong car.
Last edited by Paul on Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Long Island 7285

That damage might be able to be restored to origional properities in photoshop.

Emfinite, give input on it.

by DSteckler

Where is KO?

by Paul

"KO" is the station initials for Ronkonkoma.
  by DSteckler

KO = Ronkonkomo?

No. 60 was a GP-7, not a GP-9. It was leased from the B&A (Bangor & Aroostok) frpm 4/1/74 to 3/10/76 . I can't make out the number on the Geep on the left.

by Paul

GP7, GP9, who really cares? They all look the same to me anyway. Hey, its only been a minimum of thirty years since I took the photo. Memory aint what it used to be. Why quible over 150 hp anyway?

by Long Island 9627

Very Nice Paul Any Photo's of 1556 like to see some.

by DSteckler

<< GP7, GP9, who really cares? They all look the same to me anyway. >>

Railfans live for the differences. LOL!

The LIRR leased five GP-9s from National around the same time they leased the GP-7's from the B&A.

by DSteckler

There's a picture of 1556 in the book, Diesels of the Sunrise Trail, by John Scala.

by Paul

Well, ok here are some more...
Ronkonkoma
Ronkonkoma Wye
Greenport
Proof that I was there. (me at 16)

I am so glad I still have these.

by Dave Keller

Paul:

Those would have been some terific shots had you not ruined the batch with that last one at Greenport!!! :wink:

Thanks for sharing them. Great stuff . . . . great memories!

Dave Keller

by RetiredLIRRConductor

I remember a system on either the B&A engines or the PNC engines, ( I can't remember which, its been 30 years, but I lean towards the B&A) Where the valve to the Engine horn was inside the engine compartment, and attached to it was a rope cord like a clothes line. This rope came through the wall behind the engineers controll stand, and up over the stand on a pulley, leaving a rope cord in front of the engineer to pull to sound the horn. Well as luck would have it one friday afternoon, the cord broke, leaving only only about a foot of it extending out from the wall behind the engineers stand. Rather then cancel the train, a collector on the train (me) was assigned to sit on a milk crate between the wall and engine stand to man the horn. Talk about a fun ride to KO! Does anyone remember what engines had that system?