Railroad Forums 

• ONCT article by Otto Vondrak in June RMC

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#244159  by bwparker1

Came across rochester-railfan Yahoo group:

Subject: Congrats to Otto V - ONCT article in June 06 RMC

Congratulations to Otto Vondrak on the publication of his article on
the Ontario Central in the June 2006 issue of Railroad Model
Craftsman.

"One Car or a Hundred" is a feature length piece that provides a
profile and history of the line and not a small amount of background
on the Lehigh Valley which once called the segment part of its main
line. There are plenty of photos, track diagrams and even a suggested
track plan.

Great work!

Cheers,
George in Ellison Park, NY

Found at:
http://www.rrmodelcraftsman.com/next.html

#245527  by Luther Brefo

Good article all around. I learned somethings I didn't know about the LV and the ONCT and FGLK and also confirmed some things that I had suspected. Thanks Otto!

#246069  by railwatcher

George, I first saw this posted on the NY railfan forum, I wondered then why you missed this forum.

I can say now that I've met a famous author! Congrats Otto!

Greg Graves, moderator

#246140  by scottychaos

I almost never buy RMC, because I model G-gauge,
but after reading this thread I went out and picked up the issue..
Im glad I did!
Great job Otto! :P
a very interesting article, makes me want to go out and try to railfan the Ontario Central! (I have been trying for 10 years..still havnt caught it..)

Scot

#246148  by Luther Brefo

scottychaos wrote:I almost never buy RMC, because I model G-gauge,
but after reading this thread I went out and picked up the issue..
Im glad I did!
Great job Otto! :P
a very interesting article, makes me want to go out and try to railfan the Ontario Central! (I have been trying for 10 years..still havnt caught it..)

Scot
Well, according to this site...

http://www.lalrailfan.net/onctfacts.html :-)

Tuesdays and Thursdays are the days of heaviest activity. The other thing to note is that a lot of the work is done at night although, you can catch them during the day as well.

#246156  by metman499

Good article but I think there are a few errors in the captions, especially the one describing the disposition of the RS-3 4085. I believe GVT bought it in the 80's and I know it has since been sold to the NY&GL and on their property for several years as well. This photo is of it operating on the DL&W in 1993.

#248924  by Matt Langworthy

Nice article, Otto, but why such short shrift given to the SW switcher that has served as primary power for the last few years? Heck, I prefer Alco over EMD, too, but I daresay the switcher has been doing a good job for them. Plus, it's an opportunity to raise the interest of those who do prefer EMD locos.

Again, the artice was quite nice and the pictures were fantastic! :wink:

#251164  by Otto Vondrak

Thanks for the kind words about my article. It was a lot of fun to put together and I hope everyone enjoys it.

Regards disposition of the RS, my info came from contacting both railroads, so that's what I put in the article. However, things chassnge, and memories fade, so maybe some error crept in.

Regards the SW- while it may be used on occasion, I didn't have any good shots of it, and frankly, it's not lettered "ONTARIO CENTRAL" which diminishes the interest for me right away. And for whatever reason, RMC didnt pick one of those photos to run... just as well, I thought it turned out well.

-otto-

#251823  by nessman

Is the article online anywhere?

#251937  by nessman

lutherkb wrote:No. It's only in RMC. The article alone is worth the five dollars.
Bah! I detest paying for information! I'm sure there's nothing in it that I don't already know...

#252051  by Luther Brefo

nessman wrote:
lutherkb wrote:No. It's only in RMC. The article alone is worth the five dollars.
Bah! I detest paying for information! I'm sure there's nothing in it that I don't already know...
Some information is worth paying for. I don't think $5 is asking too much for such a great informative magazine. I am sure we can all learn something from the article. Truth be told, not every one knows everything.
 #252758  by Matt Langworthy

Otto Vondrak wrote: Regards the SW- while it may be used on occasion, I didn't have any good shots of it, and frankly, it's not lettered "ONTARIO CENTRAL" which diminishes the interest for me right away. And for whatever reason, RMC didnt pick one of those photos to run... just as well, I thought it turned out well.
Too bad I didn't know that- I have 100+photos of the SW from June 7th of last year and February 7th of this year. Hopefully, Luther gets them up on his site soon.

#253754  by Otto Vondrak

Luther- I think Les was making a joke. :-) Les didn't buy my Subway article back in 2000, either. :-D

Matt- I hear ya- you know what else I didn't run pictures of? The GP9 when it was lettered Golden Spike Rail Services. They did run a photo of it when it was in full C&O paint, because, well, that's cool. Etc. etc.

Anyway, glad you all enjoyed it.

=otto=