• On many levels, a better train (S/L article on bilevels)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by DutchRailnut

Commuters and workers helped NJ Transit design the next generation
Friday, June 11, 2004

BY JOE MALINCONICO,
Star-Ledger Staff

LA POCATIERE, Quebec -- From sizzling welding torches amid the smell of melting metal, NJ Transit's next generation of trains is taking shape in this remote Canadian village near the St. Lawrence River.

So far, only a few pieces of the frames are built -- steel skeletons that hardly reflect the significance of the project. New Jersey transportation officials are counting on these new cars to prevent a rail capacity crisis during the next decade by carrying scores more passengers on trains into Manhattan. For years, they were called bilevels or double-deckers. But the 100 cars due in 2006 will be more than that.

In fact, there are three distinct levels -- entry vestibules at the two ends of the trains that will have a few flip-down seats and ample standing room, a lower area of 60 seats and top level with 60 more seats. It's pretty much like a split-level home, with five stairs up and five stairs down.

Never before has a train anything like this worked New Jersey's rails.

"I think it will be an enjoyable train to commute on," said Matt Collins, who rides the Raritan Valley line.

"They did a really good job accommodating the different needs of their passengers," said Jill Pozarek, a commuter on the Gladstone line.

How do Collins and Pozarek know so much about the multilevel cars? They were among 14 customers whom NJ Transit sent to the Bombardier Transportation manufacturing plant in Canada last year for input on a preliminary model.

That focus group and the preliminary models are some of the unprecedented steps the agency has taken to try to make the debut of the multilevel trains a smooth one for commuters. Officials are especially wary after problems plagued the new Comet V cars, the state's most recent new rail equipment, when they hit the tracks in the fall of 2002.

"There was always a tendency to push new equipment out as fast as we could," said Richard Sarles, NJ Transit's assistant executive director. "Reality eventually catches up with you. It's important for us to get this right."

By next summer, the first six multilevel cars will be ready to go to the Federal Railroad Administration's test tracks in Pueblo, Colo., where they will undergo six months of evaluation. In spring of 2006, officials expect multilevel trains to begin carrying commuters, with the full shipment of 100 cars in operation in spring 2007.

NJ Transit is paying Bombardier $243 million for the first 100 multilevel cars, and next year, transit officials will decide whether to buy another 100 cars for $193 million.

Some of the main features commuters will notice include:
  • No three-seat combinations, a design that eliminates the unpopular middle seats. The rows mainly are composed of two sets of two seats.
  • Individualized bucket-style seats, with 1.5 inches of space separating each pair. That will put to rest the question of whether someone is taking up more than his share space on vinyl cushions that do not mark where one seat ends and the next begins.
  • Vestibule areas will have "perches," or lean bars, against which folks who are standing can slouch down and rest.
  • Bathrooms will be twice as large as the current ones. They will have dispensers that hold two rolls of toilet paper and stronger exhaust systems that officials say will do a better job of getting rid of the odors that sometimes make sitting near a train rest room a test of nasal endurance.

"Many of these features are a direct result of feedback from customer focus groups," said NJ Transit Executive Director George Warrington.

The commuters who went to Canada to review the model of the multilevel cars helped NJ Transit decide what color to make the seats (Bayfield Navy with Imperial Blue trim), what type of material to use (a textured vinyl that's comfortable but easier to clean than real cloth would be) and where the bathroom coat-hanger should be placed (higher on the door so a trench coat won't drag on the floor).

"They're using public funds, so they should be getting the public involved in the decisions," said Everett Samms, a Raritan Valley line commuter who was in the focus group. "I though it was a hoax when they called me about it."

Members of the engineers, conductors and mechanics unions also have reviewed the model, part of a process designed to incorporate improvements in the design before full-scale production of the trains begins.

But not everyone has jumped on the new trains' bandwagon.

"Painting the bilevels as the panacea is a big mistake," said Doug Bowen, president of the New Jersey Association of Railroad Passengers.

Bowen warns that the multilevel cars -- by carrying more people than the current models -- will cause schedule-busting delays while riders take longer to discharge and to board at major stations. For example, passenger bottlenecks are pretty much routine for morning rush-hour trains arriving at New York Penn Station. The new cars will make those delays worse, Bowen said.

The new cars will have four doors -- two at each end of the train -- that will open at the high-level station platforms that predominate NJ Transit's rail lines. There will be no door in the middle of the cars, something that is common on many NJ Transit trains now in service. Some members of the customer focus group were concerned that the absence of the middle doors would cause delays getting on and off the trains.

But transit officials said the middle doors would not fit with the multilevel cars' design. They acknowledged that passengers would go through "learning curve" getting used to locations of the doors on the new trains.

Bowen also pointed out that many people have the misperception that the new cars will carry twice as many passengers as the current ones do. In fact, depending on the type of car, the multilevels will have anywhere from 17 to 25 more seats than do comparable versions of the Comet Vs. There will be significantly more standing room on the multilevels -- but transit officials are hoping not to need the extra space right away.

One of Bowen's other qualms about the multilevel trains is that NJ Transit's locomotives will not be able to pull as many of them as they can Comet V cars, which he said would offset some of the benefit of the extra seats.

Transit officials said that their strongest locomotives can carry 10 multilevel cars, compared with 12 Comet V cars.

New Jersey transportation officials see the multilevel cars as crucial to their ability to provide enough capacity on trains to New York for the next decade until a second rail tunnel gets built under the Hudson River to Midtown Manhattan.

Boston and Baltimore have been using multilevel trains for years. NJ Transit's version will be most similar to those running on the Long Island Rail Road, largely because both models had to be built to fit through the tight tunnels leading to New York Penn Station, officials said.

"These new trains aren't going to solve all of NJ Transit's problems, but they're a step in the right direction," said Collins, the commuter from the focus group.

by Mark Schweber

This is an interesting article. The cars look like they will be comfortable. I will miss having flippable seats however. There were good pictures of the mockup in the paper that are not available on the website so I have inclued them here (along with a link to the article on the web since DutchRailnut did not include it):

Article:

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/
index.ssf?/base/news-6/1086929586244491.xml

Pictures:

http://www.cabfinancial.com/bilevel.htm

by duey

Anyone have any information on what lines these new cars will be used?

by JLo

Presumably, they can be used on all lines, as they are designed to fit through the Hudson tunnels, which has the tighest restrictions on size on the NJT network, I believe. I would look for them to be used mostly on the NEC, as part of the rationale for them is for use on the Clockers after NJT takes them over from Amtrak.

by Mark Schweber

Also I would hope that NJT would be smart enough to not use them on a line that has predominantly low platforms, like M & E. Dwell times would be awful.

by DutchRailnut

the dwell time would be comparable to earlier comets as the end door configuration had 118 seats per car, the bi-levls will have about 140 total seats including jump seats on entry level.

by arrow

Why is the NJ-ARP always against everything NJT does? All we ever hear is complaints from them, they are supposed to want to ENCOURAGE people to ride trains, am I correct?

Also thanks Mark for the pictures. The guy in front of me on the train this morning was reading the article so I got a few glances in to see the photos but I didn't see those interior ones. It's exciting that they are starting them now!

by JLo

Why is the NJ-ARP always against everything NJT does
They are a commuter advocacy group. If they don't think NJT's approach is going to improve train service, they criticize NJT. As for NJ-ARP's position, I happen to agree that it is questionable whether 17 extra seats is worth (a) the money being spent and (b) the potential extra dwell time. Couple that with the fact that you could pull two more Comet Vs in lieu of the 170 extra seats in the 10-car bilevel set, and there is probably no net improvement here.

by matt1168

Mark Schweber wrote:Also I would hope that NJT would be smart enough to not use them on a line that has predominantly low platforms, like M & E. Dwell times would be awful.
The only lines which are not predominatly low platform are the NEC Line and the Atlantic City Line (which is all high platform).

As far as the NJCL, when some think of it as mostly high platforms, keep in mind that (even still) more than half the stations on the line have low platforms (Perth Amboy, South Amboy, Red Bank, Little Silver, Allenhurst, Bradley Beach, Belmar, Spring Lake, Manasquan, and Bay Head).

by Mark Schweber

The only lines which are not predominatly low platform are the NEC Line and the Atlantic City Line (which is all high platform).
So hopefully JLo is correct and they will mostly be used on NEC, including NJT clocker replacement.

by arrow

Yea, advocacy means they should be helping and offering suggestions, I see none of that.

by JLo

I'm not a member of NJ-ARP, so I don't have any personal stake in this fight. But Arrow, why don't you try this page before deciding that?

http://www.nj-arp.org/documents.html

by Mark Schweber

I am not a member of NJ-ARP and think many of their ideas are silly or impractical or not justified on a cost benefit basis but it is unfair to say they are always negative or do not have any ideas.

Their comments in the article are valid questions. Stacking two doors on either end is not as efficient from a loading/unloading perspective as having a door in the middle. Add in the split staircase and people standing in the stair vestibules there could be dwell time issues.

10 Comet V trailers, one cab and one lavatory, for a total of 12 cars would give you 1392 seats. 8 Bilevel trailers, one cab and one lavatory would give you 1396 seats. Not much difference. Throw in some rebuilt Comet 2's and even this difference disapears very fast.

The flip side is that you can say that the seating capacity of the Comet v is overstated since middle seats often are unused even in crowded trains.

Also, I find it troubling that NJT is specifically setting the cars up for standing. You could say that this is just bowing to reality - many trains currently are standing room only and why not make it as comfortable as possible for standees. But, I really do not want to see commuter rail turned into the subway when standing is built into the capacity utilization planning (when I used to take the bus along Boulevard East in north Hudson county NJT admitted that the schedule was planned based upon a certain number of people having to stand).
Last edited by Mark Schweber on Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by JFB

Interesting mockup at La Pocatiere (photos linked in Mr. Schweber's post). Looks to be about 40 feet long--just about the length of a Civil War-era coach.

First words spoken by the focus group upon arival, no doubt: "It's gonna be longer than this, right?"

by nick11a

I forsee these cars used on the NEC and Morris and Essex MidTown Direct Trains primarily. The loading and unloading of passengers at low level stops should in theory take no longer than what it does now.

But, this article should be called "Bringing Fare Evasion to the Next Level." Haha. Well, I'm excited and I like the design thus far interior and exterior.