• Olney Crossovers

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by SEPTA2461

At Olney Transportation Center, does the end of the track on the ramp end on a grade or does the track level out before ending?
  by trackwelder

ends on a grade.
  by SEPTA2461

Really? That's a rather precarious setup. Is there some kind of stop device to keep runaway trains from getting pummeled?
  by Clearfield

SEPTA2461 wrote:Really? That's a rather precarious setup. Is there some kind of stop device to keep runaway trains from getting pummeled?
IIRC, the Olney ramp is only used to turn Ridge spur trains from the NB to the SB track. I don't know if its used for storage.
  by SEPTA2461

That's correct. And Ridge Line trains are always two cars. About three carlengths up, there's an orange diamond-shaped stop sign, and probably a bumper behind it, though I can never see it on my photography sessions.
  by trackwelder

SEPTA2461 wrote:That's correct. And Ridge Line trains are always two cars. About three carlengths up, there's an orange diamond-shaped stop sign, and probably a bumper behind it, though I can never see it on my photography sessions.
there's another 150 or so feet of track after the stop sign. the only bumper is a brick wall.
  by SEPTA2461

jtaeffner wrote:
SEPTA2461 wrote:That's correct. And Ridge Line trains are always two cars. About three carlengths up, there's an orange diamond-shaped stop sign, and probably a bumper behind it, though I can never see it on my photography sessions.
there's another 150 or so feet of track after the stop sign. the only bumper is a brick wall.
Really? Because I can see a little red light go on when a train reaches the top.
  by Clearfield

SEPTA2461 wrote:
jtaeffner wrote:
Really? Because I can see a little red light go on when a train reaches the top.
I believe the ramp goes as far as Grange street.
  by SEPTA2461

Clearfield wrote:
SEPTA2461 wrote:
jtaeffner wrote:
I believe the ramp goes as far as Grange street.
I always thought the tunnel extended a little further than that. Maybe halfway to Nedro. I guess they tore the buffer down since two-car Broad-Ridge trains wouldn't go that far up the tunnel.
  by trackwelder

SEPTA2461 wrote:
jtaeffner wrote:
been a while since i was up there, things might have changed a bit. what i found most interesting was the rails marked 1917 towards the end.
  by SEPTA2461

jtaeffner wrote:
SEPTA2461 wrote:
jtaeffner wrote:
been a while since i was up there, things might have changed a bit. what i found most interesting was the rails marked 1917 towards the end.
Just like the ramps past Erie were supposed to carry the Roosevelt Subway, the tracks past Olney could be extended onto Stenton avenue into the Ogontz area, and maybe up the Fort Washington Expressway.
  by Patrick Boylan

I believe you meant the Pennsylvania Railroad's Whitemarsh branch.
  by trackwelder

Patrick Boylan wrote:I believe you meant the Pennsylvania Railroad's Whitemarsh branch.
not to hijack the thread, but i've thought for ages that this line should be brought back. a park and ride at 309 would be jam packed every day.
  by #5 - Dyre Ave

Broad Street Express service would see a lot more ridership than it does now and run more frequently with trains extended up Stenton and Ogontz Avenues to a park-and-ride at the end of the Fort Washington Expressway. The region needs to push for more ideas like this, especially in tone-deaf Harrisburg.
  by SEPTA2461

For those interested, they installed a new end-of-track light at the end of the tunnel.