Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Richard_Glueck

As promised, here are the best of a series of slides I recently found from my father's railroading days. Must be out on the North Fork. I think this was cleared by the Jordan Spreader. The year must be around 1952 or 53. Can anyone place the potato houses?

by Dave Keller

Nice shots, Dick!

#1: Laurel, looking west. Depot stood between the tracks and the potato house, this side of the crossing.

#5: Cutchogue looking west. Depot at left.

#6: Calverton looking west. Express house and depot at left. Block limit signal in the distance.

Dave

by Richard_Glueck

These shots, as well as others I have posted in recent weeks, will be melting away in the very near future! Anyone wishing to review them should do so now. Please do not publish or reproduce the images online, nor sell copies of them without direct written permission from me. Anyone is welcomed to copy them for their personal enjoyment.

Richard Glueck

by n2qhvRMLI

Dave!

YOU ARE GOOD! I had Laurel and Cutchogue, didn't get west too often to recognize Calverton. YOU ARE GOOD!

de Don n2qhvRMLI

by baileyjet2000

Richard:

Liked those pictures very much. I never realized that Calverton was that busy. I looked at my Henry Raudenbush maps last night after looking at your pictures and was somewhat amazed at the layout at that location.

The reefers were especially interesting as I was wondering how I could use the ones I have have in a LIRR setting. This looks also like a good area to model.

Thks for sharing and to you Dave for knowing the locations. (I will make it to Orlado shortly and will let you know when)

Regards to all

Ray Jensen
Ft. Myers, FL

by Richard_Glueck

There are some wonderful pictures of l-o-n-g potato extras being pulled by a single H-10 in several books. These reefers were iced as well. Long Island was the potato capital of the world (after Maine, of course) until blight and housing caught up Idaho's spud promotional marketing and land values. Someday, Long Island will be planned residential communities from Manhatten to Orient Point and Montauk.