Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by iamchris9119

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone had any information on the Old Northport Branch that ran just west of the Northport Station to downtown Northport. I have some of the basic information and dates, and I've been to this help ful site:

http://arrts-arrchives.com/oldnpt.html

...but I was just wondering if anyone else had anymore information or pictures. Thanks a lot!

by LIRRNOVA55

I didknt know there was a spur, just knew of the Trolley line. Is northport still an active station today?

by Frank

Northport station is indeed still active today.

by M1 9147

No Frank, he is just saying downtown Northport. The current Northport station is still active in East Northport where the PJ Branch goes through. The spur was just west of Elwood Road by the school as some sort of evidence is there by trail remninces.

by Dave Keller

The LIRR spur never ran to downtown Northport.

The trolley from the "new" Northport station ran to downtown Northport.

The spur was the LIRR, not the trolley line (which WAS affiliated with the LIRR, by the way.)

The spur led to what was originally the Northport station before the line extended to Port Jefferson, and later, to Wading River. The station was built between January-March, 1868. The terminal facilities there consisted of a 2-stall engine house, a turntable, watering and coaling facilites and the depot.

When a junction was installed south of the station to continue the tracks on to Port Jeff, the station was named on the timetables of the day "Old Northport" so as not to confuse it with the newer Northport station opened further east.

There was passenger service to BOTH Northports for a very limited time until "Old Northport" was discontinued as a station stop on 10/17/1899.

The spur remained a freight-only line, in its later years servicing Axinn Lumber located at the end of the spur.

A railfan extra utilizing the Budd RDCs ran up the branch around 1956. It was the only "passenger" service since the station was closed in 1899.

The line was removed some years ago per Art Huneke's website and photo evidence.

Dave Keller

by Frank

Neil Feldman wrote:No Frank, he is just saying downtown Northport. The current Northport station is still active in East Northport where the PJ Branch goes through. The spur was just west of Elwood Road by the school as some sort of evidence is there by trail remninces.
Sorry. My bad.

by M1 9147

Dave, thanks for the clarification to my post!