Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by jeff29992001

does anybody have a nice upclose photo of the old M logo?
i want to turn it into clip art in order to detail an illustration i have.

if anybody has a good upclose photo, i'll be happy to give you the clip art of this logo.

thanks

by emfinite

It's pretty easy to make a vector illustration of the M logo without a picture to trace.

by Robert Paniagua

I remember the two-tone M logo, it was used from 1971 till January 1987, and switched to the white M with a blue background circle. That was used till December 1993 when they switched to the Pac-Man Logo (which FYI I like) from then on to this day, it's now been 11 years since it's been used.

by emfinite

Here is something I whipped up in Photoshop. It should be enough to transform into vector clip art:

by DutchRailnut

The logo however was not just the M but also Black lettering underneat.
on Long Islland it said Long Island
The new Haven line it said New haven under the M
On Harlem/Hudson equipment it said Central.

by Otto Vondrak

two-tone M's we know and love...

M-CENTRAL (MTA Harlem & Hudson)
M-NEW HAVEN (CDOT/MTA)
M-LONG ISLAND (LIRR)
M-SUBWAY
M-STATEN ISLAND (SIRT)
M-SURFACE (MABSTOA Buses)

I've also seen a special red white and blue M-BICENTENNIAL that seemed to appear in the Subway system in 1976.

Other variations?

I think the two-tone M was largely abandoned by 1983/1985 or so as all the MTA agencies moved to the M-in-a-circle. That look was never evenly applied, and it wasn't until the MTA spent all that money on the new "pac-man" logo that you saw all the agencies convert to the new logo at once.

-otto-

by JayMan

IMO, they should have kept the two-tone M. Aside from the fact that I've "grow-up" on it, neither of the logos they've adopted since is as good, I don't think.

by 7 Train

I think the two-tone M was largely abandoned by 1983/1985 or so as all the MTA agencies moved to the M-in-a-circle. That look was never evenly applied, and it wasn't until the MTA spent all that money on the new "pac-man" logo that you saw all the agencies convert to the new logo at once.
The two-tone "M" continued to be be used well into the late 80s and early 90s, when it was applied onto rebuilt R32/33/36/38/40/40M/42/44/46 cars. Even new R62A/68/68A cars built 1983-89 had it upon delivery.

by M1 9147

Otto, to correct the M subway, it was in a circle with the M in the middle of it, then around it said New York City Transit Authority.

by Otto Vondrak

Neil- maybe I didnt see M-SUBWAY, but what about M-TRANSIT?

-otto-

by mncommuter

Your recreation looks good, emfinite.
Does anyone have any old M-1 photos with the "M Central" logo?

by KFRG

There was also an M-Suburban, for MSBA (LI Bus).

-Tom

by Dieter

The Debut of the "M Central" logo was with the M-1's in 1971.

When and why was it discontinued?

Dieter.