Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Johnny F

The responses to the questions on freight classification (old freight ops) explained rather fully the operation in Long Island City. What about Bay Ridge? From the info that I have found, it appears that most, if not all, of the freight that came into Bay Ridge by float was for the New Haven. Did freight destined for Long Island delivery ever come through Bay Ridge or did all Long Island freight come into Long Island City? Thanks in advance.

by Dave Keller

I have a photo that will appear in my sequel book, of two LIRR Alco RS3's pushing a string of freight cars past "Fremont" tower, snaking them down the connecting track leading to the LIRR at "Pond."

Unless these cars came in over the Hell Gate Bridge, the other option would be the float docks in Bay Ridge.

Let's ask the freight experts about this one.

Dave Keller
  by dukeoq

Dave, if those cars were being shoved toward Pond, they were probably picked up from the tracks north of Fremont and a reverse move being made on the wye to take them to Yard A.

As for LIRR freight coming into Bay Ridge, it did happen but not on a regular basis.
Bay Ridge was basically a bridge line to New England via the NYH&HRR.
Cars for Oak Point were head ended and the rest of the train went to Cedar Hill (New Haven)
These trains, when made up, stretched from the river to 8th Ave and required, for the most part, three GP9s.
LIRR freight put in at Bay Ridge did so when conditions on the East R. were such that it was more practical to do so.
Several waterfront railroads, on occasion, brought floats to Bay Ridge with LI freight, mainly because it was a short trip.
Bush Terminal, BEDT and NY Dock were all ID’d as NY Dock.
A special move had to be made by a LI crew to come pick these cars up and take them to Yard A.

by Johnny F

Thanks Dave and JJ. It still seems odd to me. With all the rail/river facilities just across in Jersey, why would freight from the south go further north to float into LIC or, I'm guessing, even to Selkirk, just to head south again? I'm sure there was a reason, but I just don't see it.

by dukeoq

Johnny F writes:
why would freight from the south go further north to float into LIC or,
I'm guessing, even to Selkirk, just to head south again?

As explained above, Bay Ridge was used to make up trains for the New Haven.
That took up the yard and the time of the crews.
LIC and Yard A were the main yard for the LIRR with much freight staying at that area.
Floating operations were severely curtailed in 1969 with the PRR/NYC merger and the creation of PC.
The New Haven insisted on being a part of the merger.
They wanted to do away with float operations and all freight, then, went to Selkirk and sent to Long Island and/or New England points.

by Johnny F

Thanks again JJ. I didn't express my question very well. What I was trying to ask was why Bay Ridge wasn't utilized to relieve the congestion in Yard A. I was thinking along the lines of local Brooklyn freight originating from the Bay Ridge yard and Queens freight being dispatched from LIC, with both yards sending haulers to Holban. I'm sure there was a reason.
  by dukeoq

All I can say is that the railroads floating to LIRR had thier freight in one block to send to one place--LIC.
Freight coming to Bay Ridge was from PRR-Greenville and the blocks were made up for New England.
The railroads that floated to LI were not going to do our switching for us.