Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Head-end View

How about Long Island City? It's a "yard" right? But passengers do board there. :-D
  by bluebelly

Head-end View wrote:How about Long Island City? It's a "yard" right? But passengers do board there. :-D
Good try, but wrong :( Yes LIC is a yard but it is also a Station.

by Dave Keller

Is it Hillside Facility?

"Civilian" passengers CAN get on and off there (those having business at the facility), but it's not technically a station because it's not there as a service to the neighboring community, per se, in which it is located.

Dave Keller

by Dave Keller

And . . . . .

A station is: "A place designated on the time-table by name."

I don't see Hillside Facility listed under the time schedules in my ETT.

Dave Keller

by bluebelly

Dave Keller wrote:And . . . . .

A station is: "A place designated on the time-table by name."

I don't see Hillside Facility listed under the time schedules in my ETT.

Dave Keller
Nope Hillside is a station.
Your definition is missing a key phrase .By definition a station is " a place designated by name on the station pages of the current timetable" "Station pages " is key. In order to be a station a location has to be listed on the station pages. For example ,Rocky is a station even though it never appeares in any schedule because it is in the station pages.

Hillside is on the station pages the correct answer is not.
I don't know why Hillside would not be in your ETTs it is in mine. Are yours old? Most Hempstead trains and many KO and Huntington trains stop at HSF and the stop is shown in the ETT Schedule.

Here is another hint this will probably give it away. By defination a passenger station is a place were trains are Scheduled to recieve and/or discharge passengers.
By that definition this location is also not a passenger station because no train is SCHEDULED to stop there, yet trains do go there and civilians do board trains there.

BTW the two definations I have given are the answer to the "why" part of the question, so know all we need to know is were.

by Dave Keller

I gave the ETT a quick look-thru at lunch time so probably missed the listing for Hillside. (It's a current ETT).

The definition I gave for a station was directly out of an older LIRR rulebook. That was the way they defined a station back in the 1970s.

I don't own a current LIRR book of rules (hint . . . hint . . . . :wink: )

I've gotta think harder now. :(

Dave Keller

by BobLI

Bolands Landing??

by Dave Keller

That was my original thought, but do "civilians" get on and off trains there currently?

When I used the employee stop in the early 1970s, it was not yet named, but only LIRR employees got off there after getting with the conductor so he could advise the motorman to make the stop.

Dave Keller

by bluebelly

Dave Keller wrote:That was my original thought, but do "civilians" get on and off trains there currently?
Dave Keller
Dave yes it is currently in use.
LI Bob:Nope Bolands is a station, it's listed in the station pages.

Lets review:
Not listed in the station pages
No trains are scheduled to stop there.(Hmm are trains that stop there not scheduled to do so , or do the trains that stop there not have schedules? Now thats something to think about.)
And despite all that civilians board and exit trains at this location. And have done so for quite some time.

by Dave Keller

I don't have my ETT in front of me at the moment to check the station pages . . . .

West Side Yard?

Dave Keller

by pgengler

Dave Keller wrote:I don't have my ETT in front of me at the moment to check the station pages . . . .

West Side Yard?

Dave Keller
That was my thought, too, but are there "civilians" boarding here, or just getting off because they forgot to at Penn?

by mainline

How about Richmond Hill. I remember one time sleeping thru Jamaica and being woken up to transfer to another diesel train back to Jamaica. I wasn't the only one. Just a guess.

by Dave Keller

Now THAT's a good one. . . . .

Tricky enough to possibly be the answer . . . . . . .

Dave Keller

by Peanuts

I will take a shot in the dark here...

Belmont Park?

by RPM2Night

Belmont Park is a station, but only used seasonally I believe

Do trains still stop at Mill Neck? I remember they used to when I was younger, even though it was taken out of service from the railroad already.