Railroad Forums 

• Official Tilton Caboose Train Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#805168  by wog820

schwab21 wrote:When is the next trip to Lincoln?

Probaly around 2012 from the sound of things . We're not going anywhere north that is for sure. Extensive trackwork needs to be done between Tilton and Laconia ;which includes some new crossing protection too. Also all cabooses need to be inspected and brought up to the requirments they need to roll again. A few owners are having their cabooses moved and stuffed and mounted. :(
 #805758  by FatNoah

It looks like some of the work has already started. I was in Laconia this weekend and noticed that some new ties had been dropped off along the ROW near Bartlett Beach and that it looks like a switch was installed (or replaced) just south of the Laconia station.
 #885283  by wog820

We're going out New Years Eve to Concord with NEGS, probaly depart Northfield arpund 11am or so. Return trip from Concord should be around the same time the next day.
 #888245  by ATSF1959

Could someone tell me how one becomes involved with the caboose group in Tilton? How does the whole thing work? payments? leases? I have a caboose and would like to join.
 #888407  by Dick H

I ran a few searches for a caboose "group" at Tilton to no avail.
You might try calling the Hobo Railroad, as they should be able
to give you a contact address. I think they are shut down for the
winter, so it may problematic if they answer the phone.

Hobo Railroad in the heart of the White Mountains in Lincoln, NH (603) 745-2135
 #925676  by wog820

No schedule this year . Track is still OOS north of Tilton and south of Laconia. We are supposed to go south in May with NEGS, but I heard yesterday that is not going to happen. NEGS GP 39 2370 is supposed to go to Lincoln for repairs ( she still runs ) . when this happens hopefully we'll go south .
 #950175  by wog820

We/re going out today to Concord. This is a day trip so the train will be returning the same day. Hopefully my post isn't to late and some of you will catch us. If so tell Gary I said Hi (Cold Harbor) I can not make trip so I won,t be around. Have Fun All, Paulie :)
 #1016578  by Tomtom

Just curious what is the status of the Bangor & Aroostook wood caboose?

I was interested in buying this caboose a number of years ago. I didn't bite because I didn't feel that I knew enough to go for it. But I visited Tilton a while later and discovered that this caboose was gone at the time. I noticed from a much earlier post in this thread that it was (seemingly) undergoing repairs and on its way back to Tilton, also a comment that suggested it was maybe being renumbered? Apparently considering buying this caboose made a positive impression on me because I still think about it every now and then and wonder about what's happened over the years since I first saw it.
 #1593929  by jmangan

Does anyone know where VTR Caboose #10 ended up after leaving Caboose Village? It was named after my father, Paul P. Mangan, a longtime employee and retiree of Vermont Railway. Just curious.
 #1594449  by NHN503

jmangan wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:58 am Does anyone know where VTR Caboose #10 ended up after leaving Caboose Village? It was named after my father, Paul P. Mangan, a longtime employee and retiree of Vermont Railway. Just curious.
Its in Brookfield, NH on a private lot off of Tumbledown Dick Rd. , about halfway down before the westside of Kingswood Lake.