Railroad Forums 

• Odd Power Lashup and Odd Consist

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#941595  by Ocala Mike

While driving through Belleview, FL tonight at around 8:30 I had to do a double take. Saw a S/B freight on the "S" line doing MAS (40 mph) with 5 engines on the point (3 CSX and 2 UP) pulling a long unit tanker train. Every one of the black tank cars was marked "TILX"; last car was some kind of buffer car, I guess (looked like a cement car). Anyone know where this guy was heading and/or coming from?

I usually encounter a move around that time, but it's normally a more ordinary consist of double-stacks or auto carriers behind 2 CSX engines.
 #941985  by mmi16

Most likely one of the many Ethanol trains being operated on CSX
 #943098  by Lady Penelope

Hi, the train that you saw was K475, a Southbound loaded ethanol train to Winter Haven, FL. It originates out of either Blair, NE or Fairmont, MN. The K475 designation is when it comes through the Proviso gateway. If it is detoured through Blue Island, it then becomes K461; running Northbound empty, it is K476 and K462 respectively. The train commonly sports Union Pacific power.
 #943353  by Ocala Mike

Thanks for that info, Lady Penelope. Like I say, unusual to see the UP power on the point. I'm thinking that train is handed off to Florida Midland (a short line) in Winter Haven. Would still like to know its ultimate destination.
 #944084  by Lady Penelope

You're welcome Mike. It is actually common to see the train with non-UP power, in fact, only twice have I seen it with either a CSX engine leading UPs or pure CSX power. In WInter Haven, it used to be that the road power will cut off at the station and pull clear of the switch, and the three Florida Midland engines would take the train to Eagle Lake, and the road power returning to Winston Yard in Lakeland. Now, the whole train, road power included, will run the whole way to Eagle Lake, but CSX and Florida Midland swaps crew at the Winter Haven station. Two Florida Midland engines handles the spotting and switching.
 #944149  by Ocala Mike

So the ultimate destination, rail-wise, is the Ethanol Distribution Terminal at Eagle Lake, FL. Live and learn; thanks again.