Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1215514  by 25Hz

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/vi ... -1.1858868" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A collision between a Via Rail train and a double-decker bus in south Ottawa has caused multiple deaths, firefighters say.

The OC Transpo bus was travelling north on the Transitway, and Train 51 en route to Toronto was heading west when the collision occurred.
This just sucks.

Anyone have any solid information on what rail equipment was involved?

I think we should refrain from speculation on the cause out of respect for those departed.
Last edited by 25Hz on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1215575  by Tadman

Appears to be a P42 and LRC coaches.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/09/18 ... fatalities" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Six people are dead and 30 were injured after a Via Rail train and an Ottawa city bus collided in the city’s southwest end Wednesday morning, officials have confirmed. Five people were pronounced dead on scene, while the sixth died in hospital. Ten people were rushed to hospital in critical condition."

http://wpmedia.news.nationalpost.com/2013/09/43.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1215592  by 25Hz

Yea looks like a VIA P42.

I just noticed that the train derailed & chewed up the tracks in doing so.... Wow, that could have been a LOT worse, both for the bus and the train...
 #1215598  by MBTA1016

From what I heard on NECN. Passengers were screaming at the bus driver before he ran through the crossing while the crossing arm was down. I don't know much more then that.
 #1215622  by Freddy

Mbta fan wrote:From what I heard on NECN. Passengers were screaming at the bus driver before he ran through the crossing while the crossing arm was down. I don't know much more then that.
That's what's in the video of a passenger on Charter Cables homepage.
 #1215623  by 25Hz

JimBoylan wrote:Despite the original title of this topic, eyewitnesses have told news reporters that the bus clipped or ran into the side of the train.
Fixed. I based it on the information available at the time.

It seems 5 died on the scene and one died later. Not sure about the bus operator, though based solely on photos of the incident it looks like the driver may have been one of the 6, as the driver area of the bus is basically gone.
 #1215630  by MBTA1016

That's scary, I hadn't heard about that till I saw ur post 25hz
 #1215847  by 25Hz

Mbta fan wrote:That's scary, I hadn't heard about that till I saw ur post 25hz
As a person that rides a bus route that crosses a very active right of way, it is never something i assume can't happen there or elsewhere, but of course reading about it is still shocking. Canada has been getting some really bad luck with its rails lately.... first that crazy overspeed derailment near aldershot, then the train over that flooded river in calgary, then the GO train that suddenly found itself in several feet of flood water with dozens of people on board, then that fiery mess in quebeq, now this. I just hope it makes people, both operators and patrons, far more vigilant as a result, nothing you can do about the past aside from common sense steps to ensure it doesn't repeat. :(
 #1215862  by 25Hz

Some further info:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/5-ottaw ... -1.1859621" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The driver seemed to be responsible and well-liked, so that adds another layer of missing info also.

I guess we will just have to wait as usual on the investigation to proceed, however the comment about the shearing off vs crumple does raise an eyebrow for me, and opens up a number of further questions...
 #1215878  by MBTA1016

I forgot to post this last night. Watching NECN at 9pm they had an aerial shot of the bus with the entire front end missing. I didn't see a front axle either.

Thoughts and prayers go to all the victims and families.
 #1215960  by 25Hz

Mbta fan wrote:I forgot to post this last night. Watching NECN at 9pm they had an aerial shot of the bus with the entire front end missing. I didn't see a front axle either.

Thoughts and prayers go to all the victims and families.

Absolutely. My thoughts are with those affected.

Transit agency workers are usually pretty close knit, and canada is a pretty easy going friendly place, so i'm sure everyone involved is still reeling.