Railroad Forums 

• nys unemployment for csx conductor furloughed. help!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1238215  by Chromecbr

kinda stressing out here and figured id ask you guys for some help.
i hired out at csx for conductor and am currently almost done with my 20 weeks on the job training, however many people say theres a possibility of getting furloughed right after completing training. i obviously havent been working for the minimum 1 year to receive railroad unemployment. Will i be able to receive new york state unemployment instead? Also some people say that the state goes off previous employer and takes an average of income for the unemployment amount, however, theres a catch, when my previous employer caught wind of me leaving for CSX, they got bitter and found a reason to fire me. .... so does anybody have any help for me here? its stressin me out, i do have bills to pay here. The unemployment would make me or break me. thanks alot for the help.
 #1238267  by COEN77

You should be able to draw NY state unemployment the first year. When I hired out in 1977 got furloughed after 3 weeks during a coal miners strike. I applied for Ohio state unemployment from a job I quit in California in 1976 to go to school fulltime. Unless they changed the rules you should be alright.
 #1238481  by supernova1972

You will come out of OJT at a bad time and it may happen, but grit your teeth and stick through. Start looking for winter work. Furlough was great for me. I gained something like 15 spots of seniority at my terminal because of a 6 month furlough. If you are one of them that put up with the furloughs, before you know it you'll be able to hold work year round.
 #1238569  by Adirondacker

Chromecbr wrote:I am definitely going to stick thru it. But I just want to know if I'm going to be eligible for state unemployment
Call unemployment and ask.
https://labor.ny.gov/ui/claimantinfo/ContactInfo.shtm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are probably going to give you an answer along the lines of "it will be determined when you file your claim" but they can give you more information than any of us can.
 #1239085  by Adirondacker

Chromecbr wrote:so am i eligible for nys unemployment with less than a year on the railroad if furloughed, ... thats my main question lol
It's how much you worked in the past year whether it's for one employer or two employers or 173 employers. It's more complex than that. Call unemployment and ask.
 #1239094  by dannyh1977

I would just call in a claim. In WI, they go by the last quarter of work and calculate the amount that you would get. If they tell you get nothing, at least you tried. If you don't try and you are eligible then you screw you out of money that you may need for bills and such.

-dh
 #1239638  by Adirondacker

Autoblock wrote:I was told by NYS that you have to work two quarters within the year. But as stated I would talk to them directly to be sure.
It's more complex than that, if I remember correctly it's two quarters with more than $1,600 in the past five full quarters. They base your benefit on the best quarter, again if I remember correctly. There's a maximum benefit. It's not "26 weeks" is it the dollar amount in 26 weeks of benefits which he has a year to claim. He can claim partial weeks if he works and makes less than $405 in the week. If he works part of a week and makes $405 or more he shouldn't claim the week.

He's gonna be on the phone with unemployment a lot.
Autoblock wrote:Also you can collect if you were fired its mainly when you quit unemployment will deny you.
His current job. If he quit one to take his current job, or even got fired with cause, he can collect if the current job isn't letting him work because of lack of work. Which is a furlough.... He's got to call unemployment and carefully explain his situation. I would hope, when Human Resources comes in to explain being furloughed etc they have some information about collecting unemployment. For instance they should pick "lack of work" as the reason for claiming unemployment. And some information about his work search requirements.

As soon as they say "you won't be working".. he should file. He can do it online these days.