Railroad Forums 

• NYS&W on Saturdays

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#33810  by mc367

Hello
I'll be in the area this Saturday and was wondering if anyone could provide information about NYS&W operations on Saterdays. Or anything else that may run on the Susie-Q.
Thanks
-Justin Franz

#37434  by NJ Vike

Sorry for the late reply but Saturday's are very rare in these parts.

Here's a group that will send you automatic e-mails of when SusieQ runs.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Susquehanna/

#38223  by Idiot Railfan

Saturdays during the past couple weeks have actually had some action with the extra SU99s and SU100s, then throw in the detoured CSX trains, 2 in each direction.

#38376  by NJ Vike

Idiot Railfan wrote:Saturdays during the past couple weeks have actually had some action with the extra SU99s and SU100s, then throw in the detoured CSX trains, 2 in each direction.
Yea, I've noticed that. Unusual but glad to see it there.

Ken

#38449  by trainfreak

You know they havent really been running 2 in each direction just 1 in each direction daily. But they really have been combining NYSW freight with the CSX stuff to make for some very long trains. Last nights SU99/Q271 was 158 cars long! Its a shame most of these trains run on the Southern Division at night though. Oh well.

#38463  by NJ Vike

trainfreak wrote:You know they havent really been running 2 in each direction just 1 in each direction daily. But they really have been combining NYSW freight with the CSX stuff to make for some very long trains. Last nights SU99/Q271 was 158 cars long! Its a shame most of these trains run on the Southern Division at night though. Oh well.
Hello Jeff,

I just noticed that you're in my neck of the woods. Howdy neighbor!

The contractor that was building that new carbonation factory told me that he was seeing the train on almost every Monday, Wednesday and Friday in the mornings.

Do you also subscribe to the Yahoo NYS&W group? I always receive them and have noticed that they have now been running in the evening. Why the change? A customer request?

Also, where is this Hyper Humus?

Thanks

#38467  by trainfreak

Hey there neighbor! I am in the NYSW group and i think they have been running the road trains in the evening due to trackwork being done (installation of new rail and welded rail) during the day. And about the contractor. Is he talking about the local? Because seems to be that the NYSW, to cut down running time on road trains, has been sending up the WS6 to switch SJ during the night before the road trains pass through. Also the CO2 facility seems to be getting and sending out a lot of cars i remember the 99/271 i saw saturday night had 6-8 CO2 tank cars on it up from the usual 3 that i would see.

#38503  by cjvrr

Hyper Humus was just beyond (west) of Sparta Junction

From the 877trainride website;

Mile post;

63.9 Sparta Jct.
66.2 Hyper-Humus (formerly Warbasse, fromerly Branchville Jct.)

Chris

#38511  by NJ Vike

trainfreak wrote:Hey there neighbor! I am in the NYSW group and i think they have been running the road trains in the evening due to trackwork being done (installation of new rail and welded rail) during the day. And about the contractor. Is he talking about the local? Because seems to be that the NYSW, to cut down running time on road trains, has been sending up the WS6 to switch SJ during the night before the road trains pass through. Also the CO2 facility seems to be getting and sending out a lot of cars i remember the 99/271 i saw saturday night had 6-8 CO2 tank cars on it up from the usual 3 that i would see.
The contractor is referring to the local that he saw during the fall/winter months as the factory was being built in Sparta. Perhaps the schedule has changed since then.

Also, where is this Hyper Humus that I've read about in several books on the NYS&W?

Thanks

Ken

#38516  by trainfreak

The contractor was probaly seeing the SU100 power then. Since they were still doing the switching back in fall and winter.

#38546  by NJ Vike

cjvrr wrote:Hyper Humus was just beyond (west) of Sparta Junction

From the 877trainride website;

Mile post;

63.9 Sparta Jct.
66.2 Hyper-Humus (formerly Warbasse, fromerly Branchville Jct.)

Chris

Thanks Chris!

Ken