Railroad Forums 

• NYO&W Middletown Depot

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#3602  by oldrail

How serious was the fire? Can the building be restored or is it likey to be demolished?

#3772  by NYSW3614

From what I understood, only an end of the building was damaged. I believe the initial reaction was to demolish just the damaged end, but that idea was changed. I have not heard any plans since the fire. Hopefully some more informed individual will post the latest plans.

#7282  by Otto Vondrak

I made a trip up to Middletown Sunday to inspect the building and see how bad the damage was for myself.

When you come upon the station from the south end, you cant even tell there was a fire. The platform canopy was not harmed at all, and the exterior seems to be intact- the building is made from cut stone and brick, so that is very hard to damage. If this was a wooden structure, we'd be saying bye-bye to the building.

The damage is apparent on the northern end. The roof is completely burned away, and much of the interior on the second and third floors appears to be damaged. Not sure as to the extent of the damage to the rest of the interior. Not even sure how much original interior was left after so many businesses coming and going.

Could the building be saved? Most likely, since it appears the damage was confined to a small area. However, the town seems in favor of removing the building altogether in favor of adding more parking (parking for what? there's no retail establishments around there!) or who knows what. I think the only thing keeping this building from being restored is time and money. However, what function? The building cant survive as a non-profit rail museum and photo prop forever.

I visited the site before, and never noticed the small brick structure to the north of the station- with the "O&W" logo in brick on the track side and the street side... was this a freight house or REA building? Now it appears to be a restaurant supply house.

anyway... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

-otto-

#12202  by Otto Vondrak

I hope to have a short piece in the June issue of Hudson Valley magazine regarding the station and its current condition (and possible future). I hope it will draw some attention to the plight of the building... if the building got a facelift, it might bring the surrounding community up with it.

-otto-
 #92156  by spflanger

No news !!!! The station was boarded up and nothing is happening. The owner is probably going to let it fall down or wait for the city to condemn it.
 #92203  by jmp883

It would be a shame to lose the Middletown Station.

In a railfan-perfect world it would be an excellent building to house a railroad center for the public. The O&W historical society could have their offices/archives there. There could be a museum showcasing the amazing amount of railroading that occured not only in Orange County, NY, but throughout the entire NY/NJ metropolitan area. You could even have a model rr club and a hobbyshop all in there. It would be a great way to preserve that classic building.

Then reality slaps us in the face. Between the financial hurdles to overcome, the NIMBY's afraid of the railroad geeks that would inundate their neighborhood (don't laugh, I know of a music shop by me that got shot down because the NIMBY's didn't want student musicians walking around in their neighborhood!), and local government red tape, it would be an extremely tough battle.

I think it is one that needs to fought, though. That building is one piece of railroad history that needs to be saved.

Joe P :-D
Railfan as well as a former dreaded musician! (My God, we can't have music students running around this neighborhood!!!)
 #92620  by spflanger

It was reported by one of our NYO&W members, at the time of the fire that the brick on the Northern tower was damaged by the fire and is no longer structurally sound. He is a fireman and was at the scene. They started to tear the walls down and stopped when they realized that the roof is supported through the entire length of the building with truss type rods. I believe that is what stopped them from tearing it down. I just heard today that the clock is missing now........

#93325  by Otto Vondrak

It's too bad that the NYOW historical group is not in a position to approach the town and the current owner about possible restoration, or possible grant monies from the state or fed.

Looks like this one is a goner.

-otto-
 #93729  by jmp883

Let's just hope that someone, or an organization, realizes the historical value of this building and can get the restoration ball rolling.

Joe P :-D

#502416  by cjvrr

Typical bureaucracy we can't change your zoning until we update the entire master plan for the town.

You have a willing developer planning to make something nice out of something that has been a blight since 1957. I hope they seriously don't think an industry is going to come in there.

#502439  by ricebrianrice

Isn't it sad how bureaucracy can bring progress to a grinding halt! :(

But if someone wanted to come in and demo the station, and put in "light industrial", no problem have a good time.

Lets all hope for the best.

#502727  by Scott K

ricebrianrice wrote:Isn't it sad how bureaucracy can bring progress to a grinding halt! :(

But if someone wanted to come in and demo the station, and put in "light industrial", no problem have a good time.

Lets all hope for the best.
"Light Industrial" would bring in more tax revenue for the town. Sorry, Otto, I think you were probably right the first time, this one's a goner.

Scott K.

#502741  by Otto Vondrak

No matter what happens in the future in regards to zoning, I'm already resigned to the fact that the future contains no Middletown station.

-otto-