• NY Penn Station to Rego Park/Forest Hills?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Franklin Gowen

Greetings. I have some questions that I *know* I don't have the answers for...here we go:

I find myself in the position of very likely needing to make a trip from Philadelphia PA to Rego Park NY later this month. Getting to NY Penn isn't a problem. But from there, I'm lost. I haven't much mass transit experience outside of Manhattan.

I was told that the 'R' subway *should* get me where I need to be (around 67th Avenue, near St. John's Cemetery), but it looks like there may be other rail routes as well. Bear in mind that since Philly has a grand total of 2 heavy-rail subway lines, the NY MTA intimidates the hell out of me. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but it's true. Each time I visit NYC, I get lost on the subway at least once...not so bad if railfanning on my own time, but I can't afford that on this particular upcoming trip. Where would I pick up this line, and would it be reasonably safe to ride to Rego Park?

I'm told that the LIRR has a station near Rego Park, at Forest Hills. Would this be east or west of Jamaica, and would you describe this as safer or less safe than using the subway? Does this station have a ticket agency, or is it just a strip of asphalt at track level? (Remember, I'm used to SEPTA's 19th Century version of commuter rail!) If this is a markedly faster/convenient trip than the subway, I might consider if even if I had to make a connection to where I'm going.

I don't know anything about the area of my destination, and I welcome any and all tips for travel. I have cross-posted this request on this site's NY MTA subway forum, too.

by Legio X

Forest Hills is two stops west of Jamaica, between Kew Gardens and Woodside. Service to Forest Hills is not as frequent as it should be, but you'll be able to get a train.

by LI Loco

Subway runs more frequently and is cheaper, but it is slower, too. You can take the E train from Penn Station (8th Ave. side) and change at Roosevelt Ave. (Jackson Heights) for the R train to 67th Ave. (The R comes in across the platform from the E) If 71st Ave./Continental Ave. is OK for you, you can take the E train all the way and avoid the change (you'll just have a longer walk to your final destination)

P.S. 71st Ave. station is one block away from the LIRR Forest Hills station.

by Franklin Gowen

Thanks very much to each of you for the helpful info you've provided.

And for Legio X, a big "Carthagos Delenda Est!" just for you. :P