Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by emfinite

Who says that guys in Hillside that decomission the cars don't take the numberboards or anything else? It would make sense that they would be the first ones to take anything before civilians could get their hands on it. It's a lot easier for them to take the stuff then civilians. They can take it legally, too. That's just my input.

by Richard Glueck

In all likelihood, that is the case. There may be some legal business about decommissioning motive power in this vain. Note that most roads whiteline the road number, company name, or remove number boards from equipment that is going to locomotive Val Halla. The question that should be asked by one of us who works on the "inside" is, are these boards being destroyed or legitimately put aside for some other purpose? Are they going to be donated to one of the the restoration camps, or has some individual squirreled them away as a hedge on his retirement? There is nothing wrong with the latter, provided it is being done with the okay of the LIRR. I do believe these board, if marketed correctly, could go a long way towards work on either G5, saving RS1 467, or rebuilding BEDT 16. A great deal of paint and sheet metal fabrication could be financed with such an artifact windfall. It would be nice to see if whoever is harvesting these goodies has a heart that is in the preservation corner. NRHS Sunrise Trail Chapter did this with Parlor Car fittings and Keystone whistle posts, back in the late 60's.

by Otto Vondrak

I dont know what is going on here, but you all need to cool it.

I cleaned up this mess and lirrmike and I threw out the offenders and trolls. Let's move on.

-otto-