Railroad Forums 

• Now It's Bridges

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1632354  by Gilbert B Norman

The Colorado derailment near Pueblo which resulted in a fatality has prompted The Journal to tee off on bridge structural safety. However, instead of whipping Uncle Warren, they chose Topper.

Fair Use:
Mayor Jared Kraham feared that railroad bridges in his city presented safety hazards for residents. An independent inspection commissioned earlier this year escalated his concerns.

Most rail bridges over public streets in Binghamton, N.Y., were found to be in poor or severe condition, according to the 914-page report. “I thought maybe most were just eyesores,” said 32-year-old Kraham, who began his term leading the city last year. “I didn’t expect it to be so bad.”
 #1632358  by ExCon90

It seems the WSJ is easily prompted, at least the editorial side. I've seen nothing to indicate that the derailment had anything to do with the condition of the bridge, which was built in 1958 acccording to a post under BNSF, below. So far there is nothing to suggest that this was anything but an ordinary (!) derailment which happened to occur on a bridge.

The great thing about ignorance of facts is that it provides much wider scope for comment.