• Northeast Regional 188 - Accident In Philadelphia

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by John_Perkowski

Good evening.

Here are the rules. Read them and heed them

1) The NTSB has completed its field work. The investigation will continue.

2) No ad hominem attacks, against members of this board, other boards, the media, or railroad employees.

3) There's more than enough news articles out there. Use them, or use verifiable video uploads. Rumors and speculation without citation are subject to redaction without warning.

4) Those who are members of a Craft may weigh in with their considered thoughts. Please identify yourself to help the Moderators.

We've brought additional staff in to moderate Amtrak, and it still got out of hand. That's why the old thread was closed for major clean-up. We volunteers will try, but we don't promise we can clean it up and merge this thread into it.
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Sat May 16, 2015 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Thread II merged back into thread I
  by Noel Weaver

Thank you.
Noel Weaver
  by scoostraw

I believe it was mentioned earlier that in addition to a forward facing camera, that these locomotives also have an in-cab camera as well. Can anyone confirm this?

If this is the case, then I would think it likely that they know exactly what happened here - and that we just haven't heard it all yet.
  by ThirdRail7

scoostraw wrote:I believe it was mentioned earlier that in addition to a forward facing camera, that these locomotives also have an in-cab camera as well.

They are being wired for it from what I understand.
  by BR&P

There is some mention about the engineer of 188 talking to another train and indicating his train (188) had been struck by something also. However, unless there were 2 separate incidents on 188, that would not seem to be a factor here. If something occurred so catastrophic that ultimately the train crashed, the engineer would not have been casually telling it on the radio to another train.
  by acelaphillies

Folks, here is the third and final on-site media briefing from the NTSB:
http://youtu.be/HBRTpKvnVGU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Before posting here, watch these briefings to become an educated poster. These can be trusted more than any third hand info on the news.

Here are the first two:

https://youtu.be/JH9l9coWZdg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://youtu.be/uywz8aOQb84" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can anyone confirm or deny whether or not radio transmissions on the NEC are recorded?
  by EuroStar

After watching the video of the last press conference I believe that they are looking at the crack circled below. Does anyone know of any better quality image of the windshield?
  by EricL

the "white dot" circled in photo is the outward facing camera, if that's what you're referring to.
there was a larger version of same image posted somewhere in the old thread.
  by scopelliti

The video here http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... 49671.html can be run in HD and full screen. At 1:37 is a good view of the front end damage. I believe the object circled in red above is the forward-facing camera. The damage in question is to the right of that. Here is a frame (click for full size]:
PossibleImpact.JPG
  by EuroStar

scopelliti wrote: I believe the object circled in red above is the forward-facing camera. The damage in question is to the right of that.
You are right. Thank you for the better image.
  by Gerry6309

Note that there are four separate point impacts on the engineer's side. Forensic analysis could divulge a good idea of what caused them. A large object, such as a piece of steel debris would not cause this type of multiple impact and leave the wiper relatively unscathed.
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Sat May 16, 2015 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Nesting quotes removed
  by litz

I was just watching the NTSB briefing ... he says "left lower corner" ...

Neither of the two circular impacts on the fireman's side are in either lower corner (just to take into account if he's saying left/lower from the outside or inside) ...

However, if you look at the picture above, from the outside, just right of the wiper, there is indeed an impact mark ... and that would be the left lower side, from the inside of the cab ...

The windshield is shattered, as the NTSB noted ... but you can still clearly see the white dot of the center of whatever impact that was ...

Edit :

at 18:00 in the video, they revisit the windshield question ... apparently they ARE talking about the fireman's side, on the lower left corner. I just don't see what they're looking at ... could it be he has the wrong windshield in the briefing?

Edit 2 :

at the end, they are VERY specific that the emergency application was engineer induced and NOT alerter induced ...
Last edited by litz on Sat May 16, 2015 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
  by Backshophoss

From CNN and CBS Radio Network News feed,NTSB has requested help from the FBI to determine if the was a
Rock or bulliet strike on the 601,the Assit Conductor on 188 heard radio reports of the strikes,possibly 188's
engineer was repling to 1 of the trains that had strikes(SEPTA local,and an other Amtrak train)
Note: SEPTA train went into Emergency due to shattered windshield.
  by litz

acelaphillies wrote:Can anyone confirm or deny whether or not radio transmissions on the NEC are recorded?
I don't know about 3rd party recordings ... but from a "major transportation standpoint" (e.g., railroad/aircraft/etc) ... I would expect both dispatcher and locomotive radios to be recorded ... the former @ the dispatching center, and the latter on the locomotive's event recorder ...

(certainly if that's not the case, I'd like to know why, as a member of the public)

are NEC radios on a standard AAR channel, or are they on digital (ie: encrypted) radios?

If AAR, I would be very surprised if a railfan wasn't listening ... I know when we operate, we always presume someone's listening.
Backshophoss wrote:Note: SEPTA train went into Emergency due to shattered windshield.
I think I read somewhere he got a face full of glass shards. No wonder he stopped, if that's the case.
  by Backshophoss

There should be recordings of the radio traffic at CETC center that controls that part of the NEC,
along with some notation on the DS log sheet for that day,including a report to Amtrak's PD