Railroad Forums 

• North Platte, NE?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#152469  by SteelWheels21

Just got a flier in the mail, UP is offering qualified conductors bonus money to relocate to North Platte, NE. A buddy of mine is looking into it, anyone have any information about working there, what it's like to live, etc? I remember driving through there a long time ago, but don't recall anything specifically except DAMN IS THIS STATE FLAT. Thanks in advance for the help!

#152483  by Husker

Steel Wheels,
I am going to start training in North Platte next week for train sevice. I use to live there for several years. North Platte is between 25k to 30k in population. It has much of the standard stores for a small town. Walmart, Pennys, the town has a small mall, ect. Denver is the nearest metro area and is about a 3.5 hour drive down the interstate. Housing is much cheaper than Portland. You can buy a decent 3 bedroom home for about 130k. The are several good sized lakes in the area and hunting is good if you like that. And by the way western Nebraska is very hilly. It is just flat in the Platte valley where I-80 goes though.

Hope this helps

Husker

#152485  by SteelWheels21

Husker,
Thanks for the info. Maybe when you start your training you can check back with info about how shorthanded they are in NP, etc. I know a few guys are interested in this, but are worried that they won't be able to hold the road boards and be cut back to yard service (which negates the bonus money pretty much). Also, sorry about the "Flat State" stereotype hehe, I didn't know that you guys had any kind of terrain there. Good luck with your training and stay safe!

#153022  by maverick28

Husker check your inbox. I sent you a pm. I train with you in north Platte next week.

#153828  by Husker

Steel Wheels,
I talked to a friend of mine who works in NP now and he told me that they are asking people to transfer but if you do you lose all your senority. So basicly you will have to start in the yards again and work up.

#153837  by SteelWheels21

Hehe, and I read that Bailey Yard in NP is the largest classification yard in the world. I'll pass, but I know of at least 2 guys I work with that are interested.

#154028  by union21

How do you lose your seniority? I was under the impression the start date with the RR was your seniority date.

#154032  by UPRR engineer

Doesnt work that way with the UP. You have rights only in your district, and thats it. When you move out of it you start all over again. All you bring with you is your years of service.