• Nonstop Train Network (link to a youtube video)

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by raulipadding

Hello,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeGZDXLB8GM

I spent a student year in Barcelona 1995-1996. During that period I commuted at underground and got a bit bored with the fact that I had to stop at every station on my daily trip from end to end.

I thought, maybe if the train was arranged a bit differently, I could travel without pauses inbetween. That is, you have the cars interconnecting to each other on-fly, while the actual "main train" never stops!

Imagine you enter an empty car waiting on one station. Then the car accelerates and then the train behind attaches to the car. That car becomes thus the first car of the train. The cars have doors at the heads, you can walk from one car to another car inside the chain of cars = train.

You want to step out of the train without stopping the train? Yes. Walk to the last car. The train drops the last car off to your station, and the rest of the train keeps heading to the next station at full speed, to pick up again a new car and drop one off. Or many cars, depending how many people jump on and off.

There are many possible variations and detalis involved. A lot of computing power and pre information from the forthcoming passangers would be needed to forecast the optimal traffic behaviour in the network. Magnetic levitation (engine fixed at the track) would be a suitable technology, as each car needs to be a solo engine at times.

Anyway, check the video and please, comment rather on the Youtube side than here as I would like to collect all opinions at one plase. Thank You!

Best Regards, Tomas Westerholm

by Irish Chieftain

I think you got the wrong forum, sir. This forum has to do with trains like the AVE, TGV, ICE, Shinkansen and the like.

by VikingNik

The concept is neat but execution would be very tough/impossible. There is too much passenger participation involved. You can't sit and relax until the car you are in is designated to stop at the destination you choose. It would likely be mass chaos if this is all done on a real time basis with passengers moving to where they need to be in time for the decoupling to take place.