Railroad Forums 

• No Weekend SEPTA Service? Two thoughts:

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#68622  by LAUNCHman

Are you kiddin man? from where I live 15 miles away I'd walk in 11 inches of snow to a game if I had tickets. guaranteed sell-out, regardless.

#69907  by Mr Met

this is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard

#70045  by jfrey40535

Well our wonderful state lawmakers have adjourned for the year without approving a nickel for SEPTA, and the republicans are trying to setup Rendell by telling him to divert highway funds for mass transit.

Guess its time to get the ol' bicycle fixed.

#70076  by JeffK

jfrey40535 wrote:Well our wonderful state lawmakers have adjourned for the year without approving a nickel for SEPTA, and the republicans are trying to set up (setup) Rendell by telling him to divert highway funds for mass transit.
There was an article by Larry Eichel in today's Inky outlining similar problems at transit systems all over the country. Among others, CTA and MBTA are facing major fare hikes and cutbacks of almost the same magnitude as those proposed for SEPTA.

But I also found it telling that NOWHERE in the list of causes he cited is the fact that 51% of the voters have just re-elected(*) the most oil-favorable, transit-hostile federal government in a century. Looks like media control is already starting.
Guess it's time to get the ol' bicycle fixed.
I'm already riding regularly, and am very thankful that my job is only 2.5 miles from home.

(*)Sorry, I mean to say "elected". 2000 was a selection.

#70315  by jfrey40535

I've found the only place where you can get unbiased news reporting is from Google news. Not only do the right wingers control all branches of gov't and transit, but they have the media in their back pocket too.

#70316  by Umblehoon

jfrey40535 wrote:I've found the only place where you can get unbiased news reporting is from Google news. Not only do the right wingers control all branches of gov't and transit, but they have the media in their back pocket too.
The irony being that right-wingers think that left-wingers control the media.

The moral of the story: it's all a matter of perspective.

So on-topic and off-politics (in a hurry, cuz this thread will be locked down HARD if we don't take this someplace SEPTA-related), what do we do now? Regardless of who's in power, there's no funding coming from Harrisburg, and we can't allow SEPTA to slaughter itself. Would an organized protest outside 1234 for the removal of Faye Moore help at all? If not, what will?

#70333  by Clearfield

Umblehoon wrote:
jfrey40535 wrote:Would an organized protest outside 1234 for the removal of Faye Moore help at all? If not, what will?
This is a state-wide issue affecting every transit agency in Pennsylvania.

Would you fire every agency's manager?

The issue is the perception that transit should be self supporting.

Everytime you fill you gas tank, you're subsidizing highways without realizing it. The PA constitution prohibits any of the fuel taxes from subsidizing transit.

Think about it.

#70366  by Umblehoon

Clearfield wrote:This is a state-wide issue affecting every transit agency in Pennsylvania.

Everytime you fill you gas tank, you're subsidizing highways without realizing it. The PA constitution prohibits any of the fuel taxes from subsidizing transit.

Think about it.
I do think about it, a lot. And I do not fill up my gas tank without realizing I'm subsidizing highways. You seem to have my confused with someone who has no concept of what's going on. Why do you think I favor taxes on gasoline going to transit (it may not be permitted now, but constitutions can be changed -- ask any purveyor of alcohol in the US)? Why do you think I supported Rendell's proposition for the transit bailout? State rules need to change, but it's looking like that's not going to happen this year, so I suggested making changes to SEPTA to make the institution itself better. I don't understand why that's a problem; it will never make a profit, but it can be less wasteful.

In answer to your question "Would you fire every agency's manager?": Good question. Allow me to answer it with another qeustion: are any of the other agencies as poorly run as SEPTA is? It is not an either-or proposition. It's not "SEPTA needs more money" or "SEPTA is a wasteful mess." Open your eyes and see that BOTH statements are true.

Incidentally, for further examples of why I was calling for the removal of Faye Moore, I direct your attention to what happens to any corporation that starts struggling -- a realization is made that the company needs a new focus. Consequently, the head is removed and a new one is grafted on to take the company in a new direction. Why is this an acceptable model for the corporate world, but not the public transit one?

#70396  by Clearfield

Umblehoon wrote:Why do you think I supported Rendell's proposition for the transit bailout? State rules need to change, but it's looking like that's not going to happen this year, so I suggested making changes to SEPTA to make the institution itself better. I don't understand why that's a problem; it will never make a profit, but it can be less wasteful.
I like any proposition that puts these annual crisies behind us, whether it be from the Governor, the Legislature, or anyone else. I agree on the wasteful issue. Maybe they would be less wasteful if they didn't need to spend so much time panhandling for what that highway lobby already gets handed to them.

#70488  by Umblehoon

Clearfield wrote:Maybe they would be less wasteful if they didn't need to spend so much time panhandling for what that highway lobby already gets handed to them.
This is a no-brainer to logical, reasoning, and intelligent people like those here... why can't the fools in Harrisburg figure it out?

#70527  by ST214

Ok, first, i'm sorry, but you people are screwed. I've read some SEPTA history, and i fear that it will actually happen.

Second, up here at the MBTA, we are planning fare hikes and service cutbacks, but NOTHING like what you guys are proposing. Also, ours are for a different reason-New Equipment and new lines are dragging down the bottom line.

#70551  by PARailWiz

Ok, first, i'm sorry, but you people are screwed. I've read some SEPTA history, and i fear that it will actually happen.
Thanks for the encouraging words :wink: . But I don't think it'll be as bad as Septa's contingency plan would have us believe. I suspect Rendell will, if all else fails, transfer at least some federal money into transit.

By the way, I know the five counties aren't exactly flush with money, but does anyone think they could possibly come together and put a little bit towards closing the budget gap? Perhaps they could give it with some sort of service expansion stipulation, similar to the way Philly forced Septa to get Route 15 redone, only requiring a competent job this time.

#70574  by jfrey40535

By the way, I know the five counties aren't exactly flush with money, but does anyone think they could possibly come together and put a little bit towards closing the budget gap?
Not likely. Look at Philly, they just announced layoffs to fix their budget problems.

Clearfield: It has nothing to do with SEPTA being self supporting. I told my legislators not to vote for the bill because SEPTA needs reforming first. I know they will never make a dollar, but running like slop has got to stop PERIOD. They don't need funding to run buses on time (aside from breakdowns). I'm tired of the drivers leaving when they feel like it, the trains looking like trash pits (someone actually left a soiled diaper on the train yesterday), and really stupid behavior (you can't get schedules at Frankford Terminal after 6pm).

Run the company in a way that makes people want to ride it, then we'll talk about making sure you're funded properly. Until then, shape up or shut down. If you shut down maybe someone else with half a brain will take over.

#70614  by R3 Rider

The danger being that if they shut down, what if nobody wants to pick up the pieces and try to make it run right?

Granted, because of the number of people who rely on SEPTA day in and day out, there's less a chance of that happening than with a small transit system out in the boonies. But we could end up with a situation like Buffalo, where they're service is even more stripped-down and skeletal than what's in the contingency plan. That doesn't change the fact that something needs to be done to fix SEPTA.

Bah. A plague upon all their houses -- SEPTA's, the Legislature's... screw 'em all. I still can't get over the fact that the Legislature voted themselves pay raises, but they can't see fit to address this problem. Those pay raises should be frozen until they come back to the table and work something out.

#70618  by jfrey40535

I'd be half tempted to demonstrate or something in front of some of these official's houses....

Actually the legislature did not get their pay raise, which is why they did not vote on any transit measures. Rendell said he would veto any bill to give pay raises while the state is broke, so in return the legislature said it would not help Rendell with transit funding---and they went home early. What's up with that? Go home early? I'd like to try that at work one week, but funny how in the private sector that would make it my last week. No wonder nothing gets done.