Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by train2

I see NJT has some Metro-North F-40s in pool service. The paint scheme is rather nice these days and it is an operation I have completely ignored previously. Is there any operating pattern to what trains draw these engines? Such as rush hour only? Rare on weekends? Any tips to make a first time visit successful? This line is a bit of drive so want to get some good intel.

How many total do they have and how many run on any given day? Would you likely see 1 going back and forth or several?

Do they operate anywhere other than the Port Jervis line?

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Edited the title of this thread.
  by DanD3815

From what I understand they do their best to try and make sure that the majority of the PJL trains have MTA locomotives and Passenger cars on their trains. You can also find them on the PVL. Once in a while they'll find their way throughout other parts of the NJT system as that just happens to work out with the pool service they have. They normally have all MTA equipment on the rush hour trains home but there is still a good amount of NJT equipment that travels the PJL.
  by sullivan1985

MTA equipment can end up in rotation on NJT lines at any time. While Metro-North prefers their engines be on their trains and terminate in their yards, sometimes that just can't happen and service must be maintained with NJT equipment and vise-versa.
  by 25Hz

4906 seems to get around. I've seen it on a few bay head trains, double headed with a PL on a RVL train at newark, and lashed to a 46 at Hudson assigned as protect numerous times. Have also seen it through newark broad street a bunch. The few times i've seen it at hoboken it was assigned to PVL or PJL.
  by runningwithscalpels

Isn't the only requirement equipment-wise for WOH MNR ops that they have solid Comet V consists?
  by sullivan1985

runningwithscalpels wrote:Isn't the only requirement equipment-wise for WOH MNR ops that they have solid Comet V consists?
Requirement is a loose term. Service must be maintained whether an MTA car can be found or not. If a Metro-North car is shopped and a "required" replacement can not be found, anything is better than nothing.
  by ACeInTheHole

I heard a rumor stating that the Hoboken yardmaster likes solid sets, hence the solid CV trains out of Hoboken except for the Coast Line sets, which are Newark Division. Am I correct there Sully?
  by train2

Would there be any chance you would see these on a weekend? or is this a trip that NEEDS to be made on a weekday?
  by CNJGeep

train2 wrote:Would there be any chance you would see these on a weekend? or is this a trip that NEEDS to be made on a weekday?
They run on weekends.
  by TDowling

With Njt's five year plan to scrap all the single levels will there even be any of the older locomotives left? I ask this under the assumption that only the pl42s and the dual modes can haul multilevels...
  by Backshophoss

Some where down the road,NYMTA with MN will decide on the next commuter locos for WOH service,
they will not order ALDP-45's,but could order a straight diesel version of what will replace MN's P-32's,
since there's no direct connection for the Main line/ Bergan County Line,and the Pascack Valley line to NY Penn,
why spend $$$ for a Dual-Mode,that never uses E mode.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

TDowling wrote:With Njt's five year plan to scrap all the single levels will there even be any of the older locomotives left? I ask this under the assumption that only the pl42s and the dual modes can haul multilevels...
Not sure why the older power would be restricted. The MBTA's Geeps and F40's haul as many as 8 fully loaded Kawasaki and Rotem bi-levels today. Granted...it's not a real pretty sight watching them wheeze out of a station stop hauling that much weight, but they do it day-in/day-out on engines with the same power rating as NJT's. So unless it's a different in-house maint standard on the strain they're willing to put on the 3000 HP engines there shouldn't be any functional restrictions to hauling all-MLV's on those routes.

The fleet plan allows for some reductions in equipment. Keep the total car numbers static (except maybe on the EMU side...right now they're thinking the fleet numbers are finally going to increase again and take somewhat higher % of the overall fleet). Then let all the capacity gains come in extra seating capacity instead of extra cars. And simplify the fleet assignments so there aren't so many push-pulls that have to supplement the Arrows on the NJCL and M&E's, since the new EMU's will be frequency-agile for on-the-fly switching between 25 Hz/12.5 kV and 60 Hz/25 kV power and have equal seating capacity as the MLV's. That'll take the ALP-46's off those lines and boost the NEC assignments, reassign some ALP-45 pinch-hitters, and allow for a general territorial consolidation of push-pull trainsets. Moreso if closing the electrification gaps on the M&E and NJCL ever becomes a priority. There will be more trainsets available for pure diesel territory, and a less-stretched diesel fleet.

Still not going to be enough to float diesel territory on nothing but PL42's and ALP-45's. There's going to have to be another modest-sized pure diesel order to make the numbers square because right now there's still too many Geeps required to float daily service.

MNRR probably isn't going to order anything new for WoH because they just finished rebuilding their F40's. This combo order of new replacement dual-modes with LIRR is probably going to be a 100% duals-for-duals buy for MNRR, with LIRR only needing the 50/50 split of duals vs. straight diesels. The MTA only needs 6 BL20GH's to run shuttle service to Wassaic; everything else in Hudson/Harlem diesel territory runs direct to GCT on P32's, with the remaining 6 Brookvilles owned by CDOT for Waterbury/Danbury shuttle service. In fact, I could even see them transacting their Brookvilles to CDOT and going 100% duals in MTA territory (whether they're running direct or just in shuttle) to unite the fleet under a common make for optimal scale and maint efficiency. The duals fleet is going to swell in size out of present-day necessity and future padding for Penn Station Access via the Hudson Line, so the economics of maintaining such a tiny Hudson/Harlem pure diesel fleet just won't wash like it used to. Since those Brookvilles are woefully underpowered for WoH service, that's either going to mean maintaining the F40's for awhile or buying into NJT's next purchase. 3rd rail duals are wasted out there for obvious reasons, so it certainly won't be the same clean-roomed power they're buying EoH.
  by ACeInTheHole

NJT tends to order from Bombardier in two phases, there will be more dual modes down the line surely.
  by sullivan1985

TDowling wrote:With Njt's five year plan to scrap all the single levels will there even be any of the older locomotives left? I ask this under the assumption that only the pl42s and the dual modes can haul multilevels...
Source on your theory of scrapping the single levels?
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

sullivan1985 wrote:
Source on your theory of scrapping the single levels?
It's not a theory: http://www.njtvonline.org/news/video/nj ... n-upgrade/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
NJ Transit plans to replace all single-level rail cars with the multi-level or double deckers by 2020. It’ll allow them to decrease the overall number of trains in operation, while increasing the number of seats by about 6 percent.