• NJT conductors with credit card machines

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by northjerseybuff

Any chance that NJT will have one crew member have a swipe credit card machine on them in the future? Not a big plug in type, but the type the gas station attendants have-around the belt swipe machines..any thoughts?

by ApproachMedium

From what I have been told by a conductor they have tried this before with much failure. Machines arent so accurate with keeping the information for a long time and can be tampered with. That didnt last long at all.... Any conductors out there can back me up with more infor on this one?

by sullivan1985

My god I would hate those. Apparently they where experimented with heavily though on Metro-North East-of-Hudson trains.

by geoffand

I still maintain that TVM's on trains would work best. Then there would be no excuse to not buy a ticket. Buy it or get off!

That would also free trainmen up to do more imporant tasks...like looking out for passenger safety, opening and closing doors, seat checks without having to stop to punch a ticket, etc.

by Grump

From what I hear, Metro North is currently trying something with a machine that basically prints electronic tickets. No credit card sales at this time. Supposedly down the road the devices have the ability to be upgraded to process credit cards too. We'll see what happens.

I see it as being nothing but problems, even with the newer technology these days...
If you really need to buy your ticket with a credit/debit card, then buy it beforehand at an equipped station OR carry some freakin cash. Its not that hard to carry a $20 bill or two with you.
Theres nothing more ridiculous then when you go into a 7-11 and the moron infront of you buys a Snapple with a credit card. ATMs are everywhere.
I remember to wear pants in the morning. Remembering to carry cash isn't that much harder.

I could only imagine the trainman that tells the passenger that their card is declined and the ensuing argument that the machine must be wrong. Or when the rearbrake is doing a credit card transaction thats taking a long time to authorize and he has to run back to get the doors...

by geoffand

In my scenario, the trainmen would have no involvement with the machines.

The machines would be just like the ones on the platform, only smaller. The only option would be a single ride ticket--no monthlies. Monthlies, weeklies, 10-trips, etc. could still be purchased through your local friendly ticket agent or using a land-based TVM.

Credit cards, debit cards and cash would be accepted. If all options on the TVM are OOS, along with any other TVMs on the train, then the ride is on NJT.

A convenience fee of $2.50 (half the price of the surcharge) would be added to the total ticket cost for using an onboard TVM when the departing station has a land-based TVM or during ticket agent hours (programmed into the software). This will avoid crowding at the onboard TVM during peak periods or at large stations...and the inevitable "I tried to buy my ticket but the line was too long and now I need to get off the train."

Of course, this would have to be integrated somehow into future trains...and probably isn't an option for existing trains.

The technology exists...it just has to be implemented.

by NJTRailfan

I think the option of onboard TVMs can be used for exsiting trains but for the bilevels and recent comets only used on the busiest lines like the M&E, Boonton, NEC/NJCL. I do believe that a one way and Round Trip Option are the only ones that should be available and yes a conveniance fee should be charged. Hey, more money for NJT to use towards expansion projects.

As one poster stated the technology exists. NJT just has to come up with the when and where to install them and on how many per train. Yes this would free up the NJT Railroad emplyees for the important tasks such as keeping us safe and operating equipment.

by Taborite

NJTRailfan wrote:I think the option of onboard TVMs can be used for exsiting trains but for the bilevels and recent comets only used on the busiest lines like the M&E, Boonton, NEC/NJCL. I do believe that a one way and Round Trip Option are the only ones that should be available and yes a conveniance fee should be charged. Hey, more money for NJT to use towards expansion projects.

As one poster stated the technology exists. NJT just has to come up with the when and where to install them and on how many per train. Yes this would free up the NJT Railroad emplyees for the important tasks such as keeping us safe and operating equipment.
There is one small problem there: in order to handle credit cards the onboard TVM would have to attain an internet connection wirelessly. With identity theft rampant enough in this day and age, I wouldn't want my credit card info transmitted to anyone on the train with a wireless broadband card, even if it were encrypted.

by Grump

Ok, heres something I'm gonna throw out there....

Anyone think of the potential line that may exist with people waiting to purchase tickets? So if the conductor is going through the car and there are 4 people on line, is he just supposed to walk on by the people that are "waiting to buy" their tickets?

by ApproachMedium

This is the biggest load of crap. It wont happen. Theres too many issues that can evolve from it, and ontop of that the infrastructure needs to be paid for and maintained and NJT isnt even paying for their emeregency cell phones in the new ALPs and the PL42. To hell if they are going to pay for some stupid TVMs for the passengers.

You cant just plop a TVM machine in a car and expect it to work. Now someone has to check it and fill it for tickets. Wireless cellular networking needs to be put in every car, unless they used the DTN they might be able to get it to work from the Cab cars cellular, but that wont happen since they only use that on the Multilevels. And like someone stated before, now someones card gets wound up in a slow transaction or insuffecent funds. The line gets longer, that end of the car gets clogged up now people cant walk or move around. I say if they cant be responsable enough to carry cash they shouldnt be on the train! And if they cant get their butt to the train station on time to purchase one from a machine or ticket window then well maybe they need to start managing their schedule better. And to quote my conductor friend from the MTA:

"People wait for trains, Trains dont wait for people."

by geoffand

Taborite wrote:
NJTRailfan wrote:I think the option of onboard TVMs can be used for exsiting trains but for the bilevels and recent comets only used on the busiest lines like the M&E, Boonton, NEC/NJCL. I do believe that a one way and Round Trip Option are the only ones that should be available and yes a conveniance fee should be charged. Hey, more money for NJT to use towards expansion projects.

There is one small problem there: in order to handle credit cards the onboard TVM would have to attain an internet connection wirelessly. With identity theft rampant enough in this day and age, I wouldn't want my credit card info transmitted to anyone on the train with a wireless broadband card, even if it were encrypted.
Guess what? It happens ALL the time without you even knowing it. Wireless credit card machines are popping up everywhere, and you may not even realize the machine is wireless. Been to a county fair or outdoor concert recently? If you used a credit card...

The machines also have the ability to store and transmit at a later time. You can't "authorize" during this period, but at least you can accept a credit card easily.

by KFC Jones

Geoffand, I though you had a good idea there until I saw it all laid out by AntNJTrainset! Then I tought, "Why go through all the hassle of installing, maintaining, and dealing with these things- just to benefit those among us who can't get it together to carry a 20?"

Nah, the current system- pay or get off- is more efficient! :wink: :-D :-) :P

by NY&LB

You must also remember that you can't just put the existing TVM's on a train, they are designed for a FIXED enviornment, the vibration that exists on the trains would shake one of those to bits in no time, it would require an entire new design and would be much more expensive, also the maintenance would be high, it would require servicing to replenish ticket stock as well as to empty out the cash...TVM DO take cash.... and how would you propose installing them, one per car?, one per train? how would NJT insure EVERY train had at least one TVM???

"Go forward 8 cars to the TVM to buy your ticket"

by Mark Schweber

If they can put them on NYC cabs they can put them in NJT trains.

by KFC Jones

NYC cabs vs trains is apples vs oranges. for so many reasons I wouldn't even bother listing them. So, although you're right that they could PUT THEM IN, what happens next is a whole "nuther" story. :-D :-) :( :wink: