Railroad Forums 

• NJT ALP-45-DP Supplemental Order

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1467872  by RRspatch

You mean something along the lines of a BR class 800/802 train.

http://uktransport.wikia.com/wiki/Briti ... _Class_800" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_802" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1467983  by dowlingm

Matt Johnson wrote:Too bad. My dream train is a Siemens Brightline set but with a diesel on one end and a Brightline loco with ACS-64 internals on the other end, painted in the RTL-III Turboliner paint scheme. :)
remember when NJT ran ALP44-ACES Bilevels-P40DC to Atlantic City?
 #1468008  by Matt Johnson

dowlingm wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:Too bad. My dream train is a Siemens Brightline set but with a diesel on one end and a Brightline loco with ACS-64 internals on the other end, painted in the RTL-III Turboliner paint scheme. :)
remember when NJT ran ALP44-ACES Bilevels-P40DC to Atlantic City?
I do!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeLYd0MF1aA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1470192  by sullivan1985

FWIW: 4205, 4208 and 4217 were returned to active service in the last few months. All within weeks of each other, too. All that was keeping them from passenger service was bad HEPs.

As a result of this order I think its safe to say the remaining two ex-CNJ (4100 and 4101) will finally be retired to the "non-revenue" project and the 4200s will soldier on for a time between the Hoboken Division and the Atlantic City Line.
 #1471070  by trainbrain

As far as trying to replace current diesels, this makes perfect sense.

The ALP-45-DP is already running and seems to be working pretty well. There are still options available on that order that they can take, or they could walk away and sign a brand new contract for straight diesels. It's going to be cheaper to go with the dual mode option, and you get the extra convenience of them being dual mode. The ALP-45-DP is designed to be efficient and practical to use in both modes, unlike the P32ACDM or DM30AC which are put in diesel mode as soon as they get outside. When operated in diesel mode, it's NJT's most capable diesel and the only one that can handle Multilevel trains bigger than 6 cars. In electric mode, it's almost as good as an ALP-46. All NJT lines end in electric territory and it provides flexibility to offer one seat ride service to NY from Raritan/High Bridge, Bay Head, and west of Dover and MSU.

The majority of the PL42AC's are now on the Main/Bergen Line while the ALP-45-DP's seem to mostly be on the NJCL and RVL. With the supplemental order, I think the remaining PL's on the RVL and southern portion of the NJCL will be displaced to the ACL and Hoboken Division. Then some or all of the older diesels will be retired, and everything in the fleet will be able to handle Multilevels.
 #1471082  by sullivan1985

trainbrain wrote:When operated in diesel mode, it's NJT's most capable diesel and the only one that can handle Multilevel trains bigger than 6 cars.
PL42ACs have been used on 8-car ML sets on numerous occasions for stadium events and can regularly be found on 7-car ML sets out if Raritan.
 #1471101  by EuroStar

trainbrain wrote:... It's going to be cheaper to go with the dual mode option, and you get the extra convenience of them being dual mode....
I have no idea how you concluded that it will be cheaper to get the dual modes. To the best of my knowledge they are more expensive than the Chargers that Amtrak is getting and require significantly more maintenance due to the higher speed diesel motors used.

While there is certain amount of convenience being able to run the same engine under wire and outside electrified territory, NJT is not doing much of it: 3 Coast line trains plus the off-peak Raritan ones. They certainly do not seem interested in extending any of the MSU runs to beyond MSU (or Dover) or eliminating the transfers at Long Branch for all trains to NYP.
 #1471107  by blockline4180

EuroStar wrote:. They certainly do not seem interested in extending any of the MSU runs to beyond MSU (or Dover) or eliminating the transfers at Long Branch for all trains to NYP.
Sad but true! I had wish they did and had at least a few from Mt. Arlington, but the political pressure in Morris county was not as strong ( or non-existent) then the legislature assembly along the RVL, who had pressed NJT to do it for years over there and finally caved.
 #1471146  by blockline4180

Maybe, but they could be used on the Montclair/Boonton line! Then the poor folks going to NY who live in Mountain Lakes or Boonton wouldn't have to drive to Denville for a one seat ride!
 #1471149  by njtmnrrbuff

Taking the Montclair-Boonton Line isn’t that fast of an option especially on a local train. The express trains don’t save you much time anyway, like about 10 minutes. Many people who live in Boonton, Mountain Lakes, other towns in WORM territory use the bus to and from the city as it is the most convenient and fastest option, in general. On weekends, it almost takes an hour and a half to travel by train from Denville to NYP. Lakeland takes a lot less.