• NIMBY mail comes to my mailbox in Westbury

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Head-end View

Gentlemen: most of you are right! I hope you all e-mailed your opinions to Assemblyman Walker at the original e-mail address that was provided by the first poster. :-D

by Long Island 7285

Who thinks we should email him a link to this thread?

let him get a peice of waht the transportation buffs think and people who know what kind of hell to the HTS this shasool is planning,

heres a tip.

DONT VOTE WALKER.

by WILLIAM H. JONES

The following is from www.answers.com .Quote: The 2005-2009 capital program of the MTA provides for a third Main Line track from Bellerose to Mineola, with the intent of extending it to Hicksville, and a second track between Farmingdale and Ronkonkoma, and the resulting increase in the already crowded situtation in Ronkonkoma is likely to increase pressure for service to be extended further east. The capital program also provides for a landfill in Yaphank, two stations past Ronkonkoma, to be capped and set aside for a future railroad purpose, which may involve extending electrification or building parking structures or a yard that is said to be needed for the Main Line without a site having been selected although they would prefer that it be past Ronkonkoma.Unquote. So it seems that the MTA is on the right track for expansion and the politicians and NIMBYS are on the wrong one. Personal Observation--When I hired on in 1957, money for electrification to Ronkonkoma was available. Unfortunely, it was used to keep the company running and electrification to Ronkonkoma was completed [sic] 30 years later, thanks to the MTA.

by Long Island 7285

???'s

Where is the MTA finding capital to fund this project and ESA is still no where near completion?

whats the real deal with this?

by One of One-Sixty

Long Island 7285 wrote:???'s

Where is the MTA finding capital to fund this project and ESA is still no where near completion?

whats the real deal with this?
ESA is the proposal for the LIRR to gain access to Grand Central correct? If so, it is my understanding that it would cross a river or some form of a body of water correct? Are there existing tunnels or infrastructure that could be rehanshed to make this possible or would the LIRR/MTA have to go in and build a completely new tunnel. If the latter is to happen it would take more money to gain access to Grand Central then it would to lay more track and siding.

Just look at the "Great Dig" in Boston, and they are up shits creek because of bad construction (I am not saying that will happen here), but it went way over budget and basically everything that could go wrong has.

Constructing anything for underwater, even if it is under the water bed is a nightmare and you are looking lots of $$$$$, so that is most likely the reason why that project did not get of the ground.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I too email him, and explained the purpose of the thrid track as well as the NYA and its' relationship to the Island and the LIRR/MTA. I also explained to him the pros and cons of shipping things via rail especially toxic waste and radio-active materials, giving him a what-if scenario of a major pile-up on the LIE with the trucks that are now carrying this radio-active materials since people like him will not allow it on the rails.

by WILLIAM H. JONES

The following from Answers.com Quote-A third major terminal is currently under construction. In 2011/2012 the LIRR intends to initiate service to Grand Central Terminal via the East Side Access project. When the F train if the New York City Subway was routed beneath the East River dividing Manhattan and Long Island, provisioning was made for this LIRR route. Work to be done includes tunneling beneath Manhattan from 63rd Street and East River across to Park Avnue and then south to Grand Central Terminal, as well as tunneling from the LIRR Main Line near Amtraks Sunnyside Yard in Queens to the East River. Unquote.

by NIMBYkiller

That post may get some folks confused. Basically, the tunnel under the East River already exists. It is part of a 2 level tunnel, the upper level being used by the F train. They've gotta tunnel under Sunnyside(which Amtrak was throwing a fit about, and I guess rightfully so), as well as under the MNR tracks and then also build a new terminal beneath the existing one at GCT.

by WILLIAM H. JONES

Capital Improvement Planning of the MTA..go to http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/capconstr/about.htm

by WILLIAM H. JONES

Just found this info in Answers.com Quote: There is legislation pending in the New York State legislature that would allow the MTA to merge the LIRR with the Metro-North Commuter Railroad to form MTA Rail. Unquote

by utubrother

As a member of the Assembly Energy Committee........ Today
contaminated waste is being hauled through our communities and eventually shipped via railroad to other states. There must be an agreed upon "cap" of how much waste can be shipped on a daily basis.
As a member of any energy committe He should know where the "contaminated waste" is produced and I know this is silly to him but instead of putting a "cap" on what we can get out maybe the "energy committee" should put a "cap" on the waste produced daily.
As a Long Islander and as a Railroader and a Husband and a father,I do not like these "wastes" being produced on the Island.
I want this crap off the island as fast and as safely as possible.
By the way "assembly man" MTA hauls passengers NYAR hauls HAZMATS

by bluebelly

utubrother wrote: As a member of any energy committe He should know where the "contaminated waste" is produced and I know this is silly to him but instead of putting a "cap" on what we can get out maybe the "energy committee" should put a "cap" on the waste produced daily.
As a Long Islander and as a Railroader and a Husband and a father,I do not like these "wastes" being produced on the Island.
I want this crap off the island as fast and as safely as possible.
By the way "assembly man" MTA hauls passengers NYAR hauls HAZMATS
He is probably refering to the contaminated soil from Brookhaven Lab. It is no longer being "produced." It is being removed as part of the clean up of the site.
I don't understand his point. True nobody wants contaminated wasted moved, however what does he want done? The site has to be cleaned up, it can't be left in it's present state. His proposed "cap' would prolong the process,if it is not moved by rail then it has to go by truck, does he really think that would be better? Does he really want more trucks on LI roads?
This assembly man eithier has his head up his butt or is getting payed off .

by RedSoxSuck

I think he is just making noise on a possibly sensitive issue in order to simply look good. Just metaphorically give the jerk the finger and get on with your lives.

by jacksons

This is so typical, no solutions to the problem, just political posturing. Let's make the LIE 10 lanes wide with an HOV lane just for trucks carrying radio active ca ca.
God forbid adding a third track, Hey!, maybe they can build another "AirShame" down the middle of Hempstead Turnpike. :wink:

by Long Island 7285

jacksons,

Im with you on this one,

welcom to modern America and her Politics.

by jacksons

Thank you 7285, but it's true, common sense bows to political whatever. The Rockaway Beach to JFK caper cured me, the reasons for not taking that path were unbelievable.