Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDuSWDT ... g&index=63" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by metroduff

Well - that was about 20 minutes I won't get back :wink: ! Thanks! Amazing (these days) how fast SENH was going on the Beacon ...
  by DutchRailnut

most of Beacon line from Hopewell to Ct state line was 40 mph freight speed , most restrictions were 25 mph with a few little pieces of 10 mph.

what is more amazing for today's fan is single Amtrak Fl-9 on Lake Shore limited with 12 cars most of them heritage ;-)
  by metroduff

... and the FL-9AC's running solo with six Bombs ... I hear they were pretty snappy when they worked ...
  by DutchRailnut

They worked fine, but when people keep resetting computers, without making actual repairs to components tagged in computer, the reliability drops fast.
Technicaly the FL-9ac is same as LIRR DM30 locomotive 12/710 G3 engine and Siemens AC propulsion which only has one inverter per truck.
  by Tadman

Dutch, are you saying that maintenance kept resetting computers without making repairs or guys on the road did? Just curious, it was a long time ago in a place far away.

Also, it's interesting to see how all the trains had twin FL9's on the point. Was this for reliability or were they really pokey? I seem to remember some of Noel's comments that they weren't exactly powerful.
  by DutchRailnut

you needed two standard Fl-9 for commuter runs the stop and go is a lot different than Amtrak service.
yes Fl-9ac despite having 3000 hp, it needed about 100 hp per car for HEP so on a 7 car train only 2300 hp was left for traction.
as for Computers both TandE and Mofe kept resetting without addressing problems so in end two FL-9 AC's were needed.