Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Terminal Proceed

It's back to the future for Yanks
Bombers' new digs will look like scene from Ruth's heyday

By T.J. QUINN
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
April 16, 2005

From the outside, it'll be 1923 again.
Limestone walls rising like a fortress, standing sentinel in refurbished parkland. It's the view Babe Ruth had when he went to work in the house they built for him.

On the inside, a mix of modernity and antiquity has officials from City Hall, Albany and the Bronx gushing: the old frieze hanging from the roof like copper lace, bullpens back in the outfield where they used to be, but with open concourses (with six times the space for concession sales) and sight lines to the field from almost anywhere in the park.

This is the new Yankee Stadium, almost ready for prime time, all but signed, sealed and to be delivered by Opening Day 2009.

[snip]

It will be located just north of the existing stadium, between 161st and 164th Sts. and between Jerome and River Aves.

The stadium itself, funded entirely by the team, will run about $800 million, while the total project will cost about $1.1 billion with the city and the state providing the extra $300 million for a new Metro-North station, parkland along the now decrepit waterfront and better parking facilities around the stadium.

[snip]

(Admin note: The complete story can be viewed here:)
http://www.nydailynews.com/04-16-2005/f ... 7209c.html
  by Lackawanna484

Terminal Proceed wrote:It's back to the future for Yanks
Bombers' new digs will look like scene from Ruth's heyday

By T.J. QUINN
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
April 16, 2005

It will be located just north of the existing stadium, between 161st and 164th Sts. and between Jerome and River Aves.

The stadium itself, funded entirely by the team, will run about $800 million, while the total project will cost about $1.1 billion with the city and the state providing the extra $300 million for a new Metro-North station, parkland along the now decrepit waterfront and better parking facilities around the stadium.

North of the stadium? I hope they're not planning on relocating the railroad as part of this project. I would have thought either south or west would be a better describer.

by nh chris

Though it would seem to make more sense to have the station to the south, it looks like they are planning to put it on the other side of the hill north-west of Jerome Avenue. Putting it between 161st and 164th street would be a bit of a hike, but I guess there's a good reason to put it at that distance from the new park.

But at least they are going to build it!

Here's to hoping that they will also announce a new "Fordham shuttle" from the new station to the Fordham Road to help out New Haven and Harlem line commuters!

NH Chris

by Otto Vondrak

I will believe it when I see it!!

I want special New York Yankees schedules for MN like LIRR publishes for the Mets and Shea Stadium!! It will be sad to have the old stadium go, but if it is sensitively designed, if the Yankees foot most of the bill, and MN/MTA comes through with a rail station, then it won't be so bad.

Any you guys out there remember the "baseball specials" that ran to Melrose station on the Harlem Line? Before my time.

-otto-

by Nester

There was money allocated in the 2000-2004 capital plan for a stop on the Hudson line at Yankee Stadium, subject to finalization of a deal between the City and the Yanks.

Nester

by AMoreira81

Why can't two extra tracks be part of the deal, to handle NH and Harlem line specials? That and a shuttle bus (likely articulated) would do the trick for game day shuttles.

by AMoreira81

Otto Vondrak wrote:I will believe it when I see it!!

I want special New York Yankees schedules for MN like LIRR publishes for the Mets and Shea Stadium!! It will be sad to have the old stadium go, but if it is sensitively designed, if the Yankees foot most of the bill, and MN/MTA comes through with a rail station, then it won't be so bad.

Any you guys out there remember the "baseball specials" that ran to Melrose station on the Harlem Line? Before my time.

-otto-
What this station should also serve as is a park-and-ride, so that the state and city recoup their investment in more time, with a dedicated P&R area.

by Nester

As part of the deal, the city and state control all the parking for the new stadium. Depending on the physical layout, some of it could be used as park-n-ride.

Given the proximity to the Deegan Expressway, there's no reason why they could not put in some platforms and use it as Park-N-Ride now. There are a number of lots that are clearly accessible from the ROW that could be used on non-game days for commuter service.

Nester

by 7 Train

If this plans goes through, I will be sad if Yankee Stadium goes. It can easily last 100 years or more with renovations. Look at Fenway.

by Long Island 7285

7 train you are so right.

I say if anything restore the current stadium to look as it did in the days of the babe. the "boss" is only looking for a new stadium because he wants MORE MONEY. all baseball is today is gambling on a multi million dollar level. now back on track...

by Terminal Proceed

No more discussion of the pros & cons of the stadium itself - this is a rail forum - NOT a baseball forum - lets keep it to Metro North related issues.
  by nh chris

Thinking a bit more about how feasible a shuttle from the planned Hudson line station.

Would it be feasible to send whole trains up from the new station, around the wye track in Mott Haven yard, to make local stops up to White Plains or Stamford?

Would new tracks be needed on the Hudson line?

At game time, it should not be difficult to arrange for a few trainsets to be available; rush hour would have long passed by the time the trains would need to depart. How would crew availability fit in with this?

NH Chris

by Otto Vondrak

Just think, if they build a Yankee Stadium station, you could lay up trains at Sedgwick Avenue terminal again. Just kidding.

Has anyone seen any designs for a Yankee Stadium station? Would tracks have to be rearranged? Islands or side platforms?
-otto-

by AMoreira81

However, an important question that I have yet to see answered is: Who ultimately will be the operator of the lots? (Personally, I would like to see the MTA get control of it, so that it could be used as I have stated before, for use on 365 days instead of 81.) Big initial cost, but this should be recovered in two years at best, six at worst. The money could then be used for other Metro-North issues such as payments of the bonds used to buy the M7A cars, or perhaps rehab of the M2s.

by Nester

My understanding is that under the current revision of the plan, the city and state are going to be the owners of the lots. Whether or not they contract out to someone else is to be determined.

Nester