Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by LRail

Interesting pic in the New York Times article online, "High-Stakes L.I.R.R. Threat That Works Both Ways". A MP-15 pulling some unusual pieces of equipment. Anyone know what these were?
-Lee
  by DogBert

It was also in the online edition... FRA car? What's behind it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by AlKaLI

On my daily trips into the city via the Babylon line, I've seen that equipment recently parked in the Holban Maintenance of Way yards. I wonder what it is also. As my train speeds by that area, I never really got a good look. I didn't even see the reporting marks. There were two cars, a converted passenger car of some sort, and a car that looked like a flat with some sort of equipment/generator housing. The generator car had some sort of large round logo and to my quick look appeared to be something like "American Railroad . . ."

The cars were there at the beginning of this week but as of yesterday were gone. Interesting.
  by DutchRailnut

AAR track loading vehicle with test car, it test the tracks for max load and measures deflection including sideways loading to check spread.
  by SouthernRailway

I was wondering what the heritage of the car is. The "Association of American Railroads" on the letterboard was California Zephyr-type font.

Thanks.
  by nyandw

DutchRailnut wrote:AAR track loading vehicle with test car, it test the tracks for max load and measures deflection including sideways loading to check spread.
Dutch: Is this an earlier version below or does it perform a different functionality?

MP15acs #157, hopper wired for truck track harmonics, and FRA Rail Inspection Car at siding east of Cooper St. view NE on John St. c. 1999 Photo: Mario Craig
  by Shavano

Power has been the 154/157 bracketing AAR 100 & AAR 110. The 110 is the brown track loading vehicle and was rebuilt from an SD45X.