Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by lirrmike

As I’m reading one of my books, “New York Harbor Railroads”, I was thinking want a shame that most of this once great industry is now gone. So I got to thinking, not always a good thing, how about a little trip around the area, looking for what is left of this industry? Now, I’m just looking for a show of hands on who would be interested and if this does come off it will be when the weather is way warmer. It will be a driving around sort of thing, I can’t walk too far with my bum ankle. Brooklyn, Queens, and maybe if not too late, The Bronx will be the areas we’ll go to. I’m also open to ideas or any other float operation areas around also. Nothing definite yet, but I just want to see if this a good idea or what. All of what is left is going fast, so the time is now to photograph what is still there. Thanks for the interest.

Mike

by KFRG

Im interested. Ive been wanting to check out what's left of the NYCH/SBK/Bushwick for some time now.
On a side note, im thinking of walking the old Rockaway ROW in the spring as well.

-Tom

by emfinite

I'm already your sidekick, so count me in, lol...

by Dave Keller

Here are some past images of a once-busy industry:

The engineer's laundry is hanging from the cab window on a washline tied to the light pole!

Dave Keller

by BEDT16RMLI

ahh BEDT # 7 beautiful to bad she did not survive
mike

by lirrmike

You better believe it, Joe! No better sidekick.

Mike

by NIMBYkiller

You know how it is with me and old ROWs...I just can't keep away from em. Count me in!

by M1 9147

Hey, count me in too, don't forget me!!!

by Lupo 10

Gentlemen,

It is too bad that you missed the boat (or bus in this case) when Twin Forks Chapter NRHS hosted a walking tour of Frsehpond and Bush Terminal in August 2003. Except for Joe. That was his very first Twin Forks trip. We had a blast.

I've been to Bush Terminal more times than I can count because the NYCH is the main subject of my future model railroad and I have a large fascination with this operation and have studied alot of its history. Doug Diamond is also a good person to contact on this subject as he is a wealth of knowledge on the area and also used to give MTA sponsored walking tours of the area (I was able to attend one of those too). As a matter of fact, the chapter used Doug as our tourguide on that leg of the tour in '03.

I will most definetly want to go with you all if advanced notice is given to me (like a month at least). Also, if anyone has any other trip ideas, let me know or let Mike Arnold (our trips chairman) know. Mike is known as bedt16 on this forum. The chapter trip committee is always looking for suggestions.

by lirrmike

Joe,

I've been back to there since the middle '80's. I've the yard full of cars, then weeds only, back to full again. And most of all, got to see my ALCOs running!

Mike

by BMT

Hey, Joe! Thanks for the plug....and you guys who want to do a tour of the Brooklyn waterfront railway areas should be aware that the New York Transit Museum is going to sponsor a "Brooklyn Waterfront Railroads Walking Tour" this Spring. The date is Saturday, May 21 and should be starting at around 11 am at the intersection of 4th Avenue and 36th Street in the Sunset Park section.

For more information contact the NY Transit Museum: 718-694-1867.

There is usually a limit of around 30-35 people (to keep it managable), and it's a first come-first served basis, so call soon!

Chances are, your tour guide might look like me! :wink:
  by CR6618

May 21 is also the date for the Hidden Harbor cruises out of Pier 63 on the Hudson River. Tickets are only $5.00 for 2 hour tours. There will be three different tours, each running twice. More info to follow as soon as they get their website running.

Last year the highlight tour (for railfans) was the cruise narrated by Tom Flagg. No word just yet if he will be back this May, but one of the tours definitely will cover many railroad sites.

The Working Waterfront Committee is obtaining it's own tour boat later this summer. It will offer custom, themed tours almost every week. Railmarine cruises with qualified speakers are already planned.

The WWC needs the help of volunteers to handle the crowds on May 21. The bad news is that you probably won't get on any tour that day. The good news is that you will be invited to the wrap up party and future private cruises (aboard tugs and the fireboat Harvey) not open to the general public.

For more information, send me a PM.