Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Kilgore Trout

DutchRailnut wrote:as part of requirement for PTC any passenger line having more than one train at anytime, is required to install PTC.
CDOT wants to increase service and at any time now there could be multiple trains on the Waterbury branch, be it P&W or Panam.
So is freight the primary motivation for this siding? Not that there's anything wrong with increased freight service; any would be an improvement.

I recall reading some CDOT report years ago recommending a passing siding in the vicinity of Beacon Falls. Are there any plans for that?
  by Steamboat Willie

Kilgore - please refer to my last post pertaining to the passing siding.
  by Jeff Smith

They have more passing sidings on the Naugy/Thomaston end of the line! Of course, that's just for runarounds. I know there was a study at some point on the odd couple of Waterbury AND New Canaan (there is ALWAYS a study in CT) but don't know if it was ever published. I've always wondered why they don't have service from the branch to New Haven as well. That would seem to be more feasible than through service to GCT. I doubt there'd be many commuters doing the entire length; day trips would be a possibility right Scalpels? If I remember Dutch said somewhere there are very few GCT-Danbury maxi-bomb commuters; the train is mostly empty by the time it gets to Danbury.

A through train could be useful as a third "zone" service from Bridgeport. Or a similar "Shoreline" type service that ends in Stamford for intra-CT service.
  by TomNelligan

Jeff Smith wrote: I've always wondered why they don't have service from the branch to New Haven as well.
Connecticut Transit runs hourly bus service Waterbury-New Haven and Seymour-Ansonia-Derby-New Haven, so that's largely covered by alternate means.
  by DutchRailnut

Running the waterbug to Stamford really only takes up track space as it would be redundant to the GCT train right on its tail, same in opposite direction.
When Waterbury had the trough train 24 years ago it carried very few passengers on branch (25 to 45) rest of passengers just liked limited stop train to GCT.
currently the waterbury has only one viable run around track , just south of Waterbury platform as for Naugy, you will never see MN go up on their circus.
  by Steamboat Willie

Most of the ridership on the branch goes to Stamford or Bridgeport. I would not compare the thru traffic to New York on the Danbury to the anemic amount the Waterbury has.

The lower siding at Waterbury was more active (relative to today) when they ran a mini/maxi combo in the morning in the event 1186 utilized a maxi and not a mini. 1186/1188 both run as mini's currently.