Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#126120  by MetraF40C607

I have a station update. The Elburn station is being worked on. La Fox looks good as much of the structure is intact and standing. When I was in Elburn, I didn't see any structures that would've been the station. I was there about two weeks ago.

#128550  by MetraRy

urg... more look a like stations. if the ones on the md-w werent enough. now elburn

#128648  by metraRI

NCS also has similar looking warming shelters going up.

Metra has posted pictures of stations from Elmwood Park to Galewood, all have similar designs.

#133772  by Milwaukee_F40C

It appears that the crossover near Randall Road in Geneva is now out of service, with the points and frogs removed. Signals are probably gone too, but no time to stop and look.

#140552  by doepack

Note: This message originally appeared on another list, but I'm forwarding it here, for a long overdue update on the UPW extension project:

In extending service west from Geneva to Elburn, the UP required the installation of a "third main," which is being installed along the south side of the present-day double track main from the intersection of Keslinger and Peck Roads in Geneva (an overhead intersection located at MP 38.1) to a point just east of 1st St in Elburn (MP 43.88). The extension will consist of two stations, La Fox (MP 40.9) and Elburn (MP 43.6) -- both of which will be accessed off Keslinger Rd (thus avoiding heavy traffic through the downtown areas of either town). A coachyard (consisting of eight trks with room for two additional trks) will be located betw MP 42.5 and 43.3. The coachyard will replace the present-day practice trainsets in West Chicago. The triple-track section will be accessed by interlockings west of MP 38.1 and 44.1.

As for the La Fox station, the depot is nearly complete. The ADA ramps has had its canopies installed and the island platform betw trks 1 & 2 had also been installed. The warming shelter was also finished -- although the psgr platform along the south side of MT3 has not yet been stalled, as had the station lighting. There is AN ABSOLUETELY HUGE parking lot located south of the tracks (which can be expanded along the north side of the tracks as well) is well underway and the lighting and landscaping is nearly completion.

Our next stop was the Elburn Coachyard. When we visited the site in September, grading for the facility had just begun. Well, it has come a long way! Trks have been installed, the support facilities are being erected and the service platforms are being completed. There are ladder tracks located at both ends of the yard and each trk can handle two trains (don't quote me, but if I recall correctly, each trn can be at least ten cars in length). The rail in the yard is genuine, honest-to-goodness Wabash rail, relocated from the Southwest Service line south of 143rd St. (The Wabash had single-tracked their line betwn 123rd and 143rd in the early 1960s.)

We then headed west into Elburn. Contracts for the construction of the Elburn station had just been signed within the last month and the grading has been completed and construction has started. Since this is being built with federal money, there is a deadline attached to it, and as I understand it, service MUST start before the end of this year, although work will probably continue along for about another year.

#153429  by doepack

Took advantage of a lazy Sunday morning yesterday to check out the progress of Metra's extension to Elburn. My first stop was LaFox, and the wooden borders of what will be the platform on the south side of MT3 have been installed in the ballast; still awaiting the concrete & asphalt to be poured in. Once the lighting is added, this should pretty much complete the trackside structure of the station. The main parking lot will be located on the south side of the station, along Keslinger Road, but construction for an access road to the parking lot from LaFox Road hasn't started yet. However, the parking lot and station can also be accessed from Harley Road, about 1/2 mi west of LaFox Road on Keslinger, and even though Harley Road is currently closed due to the construction, I was still able to see that the parking lot is coming along pretty nicely; the landscaping is done, and the lighting structures are installed. The area has been paved over, and yellow outlines for parking spaces have been drawn on the freshly asphalted surface.

Speaking of parking, details regarding parking at the new Elburn station have been finalized. Metra will build an initial 300-space parking lot in conjuction with Elburn's Metra station. Based on their ridership studies, Metra anticipates that the Elburn parking lot will open with approximately 150 parking spots being utilized. Metra expects that it will take 18-36 months to completely fill this original lot with riders. There will be no permit parking at this original lot. Rather, Metra intends to work with Elburn to establish either a numbered drop box or smart card system to pay for parking at the site. A drop-off or "kiss and ride" lane will be constructed for those riders being dropped off or picked up at the station.

As for construction, a 50-foot wide parcel of land that is 3/4 mile in length has been cleared about 1/2 mi E of Rte 47 on Keslinger. As I understand it, Elburn will name this new road Anderson Road when complete. It was shortly after 8am when I got there, and construction activity was evident, so I didn't get quite as close as I wanted. Elburn's station will be located just to the west of the now completed yard, but construction of the depot has yet to begin.

#172018  by doepack

Thought I'd elaborate on Amtrakfan's Metra's UP-W service announcement here...

Beginning today (10/1), and over the next several days, UP will be installing concrete ties and performing ballast upgrades on both main tracks between Elburn and Cortland. Currently, MT 1 (normally signaled for eastbounds) is out of service between Peck and Meredith (MP 48), and the detector for MT1 at MP46 has been temporarily taken out of service as well. UP is using the track between West Chicago and and Geneva as a staging area for the work trains associated with this project, hence the reason for the service disruption to Metra.

As for the latest happenings with the commuter extension project, Harley Road (the main access road to the new LaFox Station) is still closed to thru traffic, even though the depot and parking lot are finished. The new Anderson Road in Elburn is still unpaved however, with plenty of construction equipment in the area, and as such, I couldn't quite get close enough to discern the level of progress going on with the new Elburn depot. But just west of the Rte 47 crossing, UP has completed the new signal bridge installation, and testing is ongoing. Once Omaha brings the new third track online, Elburn's status on UP's physical plant profile will be upgraded from a staging area for inbound freight trains to an interlocking control point for dispatchers.

#172161  by AmtrakFan

Union Pacific West Line
Due to scheduled track work to begin October 1 through and including october 5, 2005, bussing will be required for all trains operating between Geneva and West Chicago. Trains arriving in Chicago may operate up to 15 minutes late. buses will leave Geneva at the scheduled train time. Westbound trains should be on-time to West Chicago.

Trains requiring bussing-
October 1st - Eastbound No. 500 through 516, Westbound No. 501 through 517.
October 2nd- Eastbound No. 520 through 530, Westbound No. 521 through 73.
October 3rd, 4th, 5th- Eastbound No. 42 through 56 and No. 69 through 70.
Westbound No. 21 through 37 and No. 65 through 73. Well UP sure can't handle it.
Here is is

#172231  by AMTK84

Any ide what the powr is on te work train?

#172271  by doepack

On my way out to Elburn yesterday (10/1), I saw a string of green hoppers loaded with ballast that had what appeared to be 2 GE units (one CSX trailing) on the point, though I couldn't tell for sure. A bit unusual, since UP had normally been using two SD40-2's for the ballast work trains shuttling between Proviso and the dead track at Peck. Yesterday's train was parked just east of the Roosevelt Road crossing in West Chicago, along what is referred to as the St. Charles lead...

#193194  by AMTK84

I'm not 100% sure but I think Elburn is now a control point, the dispatchers over the last few days have been telling both east and westbound traffic to "take 'em down to Elburn," "Call me before you pass Elburn" etc; I have never heard this before.

#193206  by doepack

Your assumption is indeed correct, Elburn is now online as an additional interlocking control point for UP Omaha Dispatcher 11. The middle track of the new triple-track segment between Elburn and Peck is also used as a staging area for inbound freights in addition to Finley Road (Lombard) and Wheaton. Peck is also used at times for smaller trains, usually less than 4000 ft. or so, to ensure a fit between there and Brundige Road...

#205222  by AMTK84

This weekend they finally ran a test train to Elburn!

At around 07:00 METX156 and 8442 departed West Chicago; I recorded the train on the first inbound trip at Brundage Road and the second outbound trip. This morning at 09:00 they did the same thing with 156 and 8442.