Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Dave Keller

I really hate to say this, but I can't imagine how much more life the old girl still has in her!

Had the interlocking mechanism been left inside and just disconnected from the exterior tie-rods, the tower may have been able to withstand many more years.

Without the steel machine as support, she's leaning and leaning. Add to that the dry rot and whatever termite damage that has occured since 1917 and that brand-new stair-case may be the only thing left standing!

(I remember when the stair/rail set prior to these were installed in the early 1970s. The one that was in place was leaning towards the outside rails and the wooden steps were actually worn down in the middle from the traffic!)

I visualize the cartoon where the bird lands on the edge of the rafter and "over she goes!" (get ready to jump, Chris!)

At least she'll fall away from the tracks and parallel to S. Ocean.

Dave Keller

by Ricshaw

I live on the Far Rockaway branch, and they had the position light signals. For some reason they took them down a few years ago. I'm not sure if they took all the signals down, or just the ones near Lawrence station. As you approach Gibson, there are still some operating signals, I believe. Maybe some of the LIRR guys here can help me out with this one.

by Clemuel

Ronald,

Much of the LIRR now operates using a cab signal system which has permitted the wayside block signals to be removed. This type of territory is governed by Rule 410. The signals that remain on the Far Rockaway Branch are Interlocking signals which control Valley Interlocking and Far Rockaway Yard.

Thats a very simplified discussion of course, but you should get the point. Other parts of the railroad operate with cab signals AND wayside block signals (Rule 409). Still others have no cab signals and only block signals. And other parts have no signals at all.

Each place is specified in the Special Instructions under "Rules in effect".

Clem

by SeldenJrFireman

Any chance of getting an old signal? Just a thought I had.
I will be placing the position signals on my G scale layout outside this spring. they are really cool, except it takes three months for delivery.

http://www.geocities.com/shilohsig/

by Dave Keller

Yeah . . .

Take a walk along the Rockaway Beach branch.

Should be one laying on the ground somewhere along the tracks! :wink:

Seriously . . . Contact the signal department. If they're going to dump them, maybe you can sweet-talk someone there into getting you one.

Hang it on your bedroom wall and have your wife leave you! (You ARE a SERIOUS railfan, aren't you?) :wink:

Dave Keller

by SeldenJrFireman

Dave,
I am a serious railfan and I can safely say that I am not married, nor do I have a girlfriend, Hence-the reason I have money in my wallet! :-D I will give it a try and try my other contacts in the RR. I think it would look cool standing in the middle of my backyard.

by Clemuel

Dave,

I'm sure you can get one..... just make sure you know how big and heavy they are.

Clem

by Alcochaser

US&S Charges quite a pretty penny for new PL-8 (PRR) Posistion Lights, These signals can be up to 4 to 5 times the cost of a Color Light, and since fewer railroad use them now. US&S makes fewer of them, driving the price of them up and up.

I dont blame LIRR for buying a signal type thats that much cheaper.... sure helps the ole bottom line.

by Jersey_Mike

US&S Charges quite a pretty penny for new PL-8 (PRR) Posistion Lights, These signals can be up to 4 to 5 times the cost of a Color Light, and since fewer railroad use them now. US&S makes fewer of them, driving the price of them up and up.
Then they can get the Safetran models which are cheaper. Either way, adding some lamps to the tower signal at PD would have been much cheaper than an entirely new mast.
I dont blame LIRR for buying a signal type thats that much cheaper.... sure helps the ole bottom line.
Until a trainman runs past a signal displaying R/R/Traffic Light and hits an oncomming train.

by Ricshaw

Thanks for the info, Clem.

by NIMBYkiller

"I am a serious railfan and I can safely say that I am not married, nor do I have a girlfriend, Hence-the reason I have money in my wallet!"

I got no girl friend and I'm still managing to go broke!

by SeldenJrFireman

I'm saving my money. G scale stainless-steel track don't come cheap, nor do the dash 9's :-D

by de402

they could have relamped the old signal and saved even more cash. The MTA, and certainly the LIRR are not interested in saving money. If they were, we wouldn't have multiple threads on C1,C3 or DE/DMs to moan about. Nah, somebody probably got a kick back for a new contract.

by Jersey_Mike

they could have relamped the old signal and saved even more cash. The MTA, and certainly the LIRR are not interested in saving money. If they were, we wouldn't have multiple threads on C1,C3 or DE/DMs to moan about. Nah, somebody probably got a kick back for a new contract.
Exactly. A whole new colour-light mast plus moving the old mast 10 feet has got to cost more than adding some lamps to an existing Pl head. I'm writing a letter to that guy at the times, all you NY residents should write your assemblypersons.
  by RetiredLIRRConductor

Yes there will be a new signal system put in place starting at PD tower, and ending in Speonk. It will be a colored light system, with speed control, and rule 261 in effect. word has it that eventually the entire railroad will be a colored light system, in fact there is already one in service in hall interlocking, the second signal you encounter coming out of the pocket track going west into the station. As with all things LIRR, the new signal system is already late being put into service.