Railroad Forums 

• New siding on old L&HR at Woodruff's Gap

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#591071  by Paul Miller

Grinnell Industries of Woodruff's Gap (Sparta) has recently had a siding installed to service their facilities. They apparently specialize in paving stones, gravel etc. Don't know how many cars or how often they ship out/in yet. The L.H.R.Ry used the lands in Woodruff's Gap for harvesting gravel for ballast in the early 1900's and also shipped out large quantities of rock products to build the lower deck of the GW bridge in the 60's (via the D.L.W. ). There are now 2 solid custmers with sidings in Sussex County for the N.Y.S.W. Hopefully we'll see more trains in N.J.!
lakegrinnellwhitelake101108 010.1.jpg
lakegrinnellwhitelake101108 015.1.jpg
lakegrinnellwhitelake101108 017.1.jpg
 #596911  by cjvrr

Actually...

Its probably not for hauling anything having to do with the paving stone business.

That big building in the background of your photo has a name on it for a local politician with "Recycling Center" or something to that effect. So my guess is they will be hauling construction debris and/or garbage out of the facility.
 #598155  by Paul Miller

From what I understand, there is some recycling going on, but not what most would think. Apparently Grinnell Industries recycles cement structures and other construction items into some of their paving stone materials. They also crush up concrete items for gravel product. Someone else informed me that there may be some garbage hauling via rail in this vicinity as well on a different siding that hasn't been erected yet. Some of the Susie-Q trains I've seen do have cars filled to the brim with what appears to be waste. I'm only going on hearsay on all of this as of yet. Anyone else with knowledge please chime in! :wink: