Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1640561  by workextra

That’s nothing new for them.
They’re really foolish with the installation of poles and bungalows.

They install them too close to the existing main while smack dam in the middle of the location where a former siding or a double main can be installed if that route is warranted in the future.

Doing is this way ultimately ensure the project to add a siding or additional main would cost 10x what is otherwise should if they placed the poles in the proper location.

Additionally the powers that be are still stuck in the fantasy of 1970s era commutation.
Though that is the bread and butter the dynamic has greatly shifted.
The numbers show that with increased speed, dependable, properly timed services between Ronkonkoma and Riverhead that the ridership will increase.
The LIE is a death trap. The train is safest and fastest way. The community needs to rally for a rail oriented development not to replace the car all together but to reduce the demand placed on its use.
No one is taking your car away.
 #1640630  by upton

Yaphank has still one of the longest siding east of Ronkonkoma. New York and Atlantic does most of there switching hear to drop off cars for the BRT.
 #1640645  by EdwardHand

I've been told that the pole line is a quick and expedient way to get a new signal system up and running vs trenching and pulling cable. Being a person familiar with EMT I will say that it is a slow and tedious process but when you are done it is a lot easier to adapt to changes (ie cat 4 5 6 fiber et al).
The Inform system used PVC and was installed on bridge abutments etc that were usually what vehicles hit. They were forced to go to pipe and trenching. The saying you don't learn anything the second time your kicked by a mule still applies.
 #1640646  by freightguy

I know around 2006 during the track work program they actually re-aligned the Synergy Gas siding straight towards Winter Brothers in anticipation of major C&D transfer station move out of there. Mysteriously a few years later Gershow put the switch curved towards Synergy(long abandoned) and used it for car storage. I believe the LIRR also told Winter Bros they planned to double track through the area in the future. That would be 2x and as many consignees that never saw a single revenue load out of that siding.

Fast forward to now the KO2 to YA block is probably NYAR's biggest section of carloads generated possibly beating out some city zones to only get busier in the not too distant future. In terms of the MTA it won't actually cost them too much to shift those poles around. A lot customers with political influence along that stretch also. Winter Bros actually more or less owns the Brookhaven Rail Terminal now. However Gershow has been cleared to move waste also. It could an interesting battle between the two entities once the landfill closes. To the original point between Blue Point Road and Bellport Ave there are no at Grade crossings. Medford makes the most sense for a long double ended freight.
 #1640659  by workextra

The arguement about pole and bungalow location is that it’s an unnecessary additional expense to relocated the installation after it’s been installed and running, whereas installing it so as to facilitate future expansion which may or may not happen would save massive expenses in having to redo the work currently being installed.

This when adjusted for inflation and other facts easily adds several million to the project in the future.
 #1640660  by freightguy

This when adjusted for inflation and other facts easily adds several million to the project in the future.

I agree 100% work extra

I agree but your employer doesn't care. They have the taxpayer at their expense. Metro-North just put in 1200 new telephone
poles on the length of the electrified portion of the Harlem Line. That was after replacing them a few times after Hurricane Irene and Sandy damage.