• New Meadowlands Rail Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Frogger

Press of Atlantic City

[quote]Train to Meadowlands under construction
By JANET FRANKSTON, Associated Press Writer
Published: Sunday, July 2, 2006
Updated: Sunday, July 2, 2006
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - As a New York Giants season ticket holder, Darren Mischel knows how bad traffic gets when a game ends, with thousands of cars squeezing onto one-lane approaches to New Jersey expressways... The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is funding the $150 million expansion, expected to be used by 8,000 to 10,000 fans per game. It will also provide access to Xanadu, an entertainment and retail development being built there. The spur, off the Pascack Valley line, will start in Hoboken and make a stop at Secaucus Junction to pick up passengers transferring from other NJ Transit lines before reaching the Meadowlands. Fans would walk about a hundred feet to the entrance of the new $1 billion football stadium, to be jointly financed by the Jets and Giants and opened for the 2010 season./quote]

by Dylanchris73

I think 20 years ago this would have been a good idea. With the Nets and Devils leaving, it's a little too late.

by Marv95

Dylanchris73 wrote:I think 20 years ago this would have been a good idea. With the Nets and Devils leaving, it's a little too late.
And the Red Bulls...

by NJTRailfan

Well maybe too late for those supporting Red Bulls, Nets, Devils and other teams but that doesn't rule out further development that wil ltake their place be it a Xanadu or whatever and remeber the Jets/Giants will still be there not to mention the area can be used for a P/R taking traffic off neighboring highways like Routes 3, 495, NJ Turnpike and backroads not to mention this will benefit those who won't and for some reason can't use the train because it's not close to where they live/work by giving highway commuters an easier,quicker and bit more stressfree ride to where they are going?

by BlockLine_4111

The metropolisation of Bergen County continues as these new stations (e.g. Meadowlands, Wesmont, & Ramsey) slowly convert the Main/Bergen lines into an above ground subway system. :wink:

by Frogger

BlockLine_4111 wrote:The metropolisation of Bergen County continues as these new stations (e.g. Meadowlands, Wesmont, & Ramsey) slowly convert the Main/Bergen lines into an above ground subway system. :wink:
We'll add a transfer to the cross-county line (if it gets built), maybe a couple stations between Plauderville and Garfield and possibly a northern Radburn station stop. :) Oh yeah don't forget EnCap. :)

by BlockLine_4111

That could be getting carried away BUT..... a transfer depot at Passaic Jct. (upstairs/downstairs) for the Cross County/BCL with massive park & ride accessed by 80/GSP would be good IMO.

Same further down the "Q" at Hackensack for the PVL down below, but maybe not a park & ride.

Connectivity just like in NYC.

Cool?

by Frogger

BlockLine_4111 wrote:That could be getting carried away BUT..... a transfer depot at Passaic Jct. (upstairs/downstairs) for the Cross County/BCL with massive park & ride accessed by 80/GSP would be good IMO.
I don't think you have the property there to build a park and ride. Also I don't think it would very successful either. The cost to build a park and ride with easy access to both I80 and the GSP when you consider ramps and all would probably be $150MM at least and that is assuming you had the land. Maybe a small transfer station with a little parking but that's it.

BTW EnCap is a real station planned. Lets just hope the West Shore line never gets restored because then the BCL will end up getting routed through the Meadowlands. We'd go from the current 6 stops on the BCL to 9 stops.

by Steve F45

so thats what the giant pile of dirt is along paterson plank road.

by rvrrhs

Marv95 wrote:
Dylanchris73 wrote:I think 20 years ago this would have been a good idea. With the Nets and Devils leaving, it's a little too late.
And the Red Bulls...
Of course, there's also a plan for a minor league baseball stadium there, in addition to/as part of the Xanadu complex. And there's always the possibility of another NBA team (expansion or moved), or a team from the CBL or another minor basketball league. There's arena football, indoor lacross, concerts, the circus...the Nets and Devils are just a fraction of the uses of the Meadowlands, even before Xanadu.

by Steve F45

hopefully they'll get a minor league hockey team. Everytime i check out hte progress on the new devils arean, i wonder why they would chose that spot.

by korbermeister

2005Vdub wrote:Everytime i check out hte progress on the new devils arean, i wonder why they would chose that spot.
They choose that spot because of its accessibility by rail on the NEC, NJCL, RVL, PATH, M&E via Broad Street light rail link, and from NYC via Penn Station and WTC transit hub. And money, of course.

by Marv95

2005Vdub wrote:hopefully they'll get a minor league hockey team. Everytime i check out hte progress on the new devils arean, i wonder why they would chose that spot.
  1. Arenas belong in cities.
  2. More mass transit options, especially for the bulk of the fan base from Central Jersey. You also got PATH, NEC/NJCL/RVL, two light rail links (one of them connecting to Broad Street Station, the other from Bloomfield), Amtrak, numerous bus routes from across the region, airport bus service, Greyhound within walking distance.
  3. NJSEA and the Devils have had their problems since the 90s. And it's all about making money now, something that the Devils had failed to do in a while. The corporations are in Downtown Newark and the surrounding area; out of the 76 new suites, 22 have already been set aside for corporations.

by peconicstation

Back for the Giants opening season (1976) trains were run from Hoboken, and points on the BCL to a blacktop station called Berris Creek
(or was it Berry's Creek), and a shuttle bus ran to and from the stadium.

Was this ever run after that first season??

Ken

by Steve F45

korbermeister wrote:
2005Vdub wrote:Everytime i check out hte progress on the new devils arean, i wonder why they would chose that spot.
They choose that spot because of its accessibility by rail on the NEC, NJCL, RVL, PATH, M&E via Broad Street light rail link, and from NYC via Penn Station and WTC transit hub. And money, of course.
what accesibility? its nearly 8 blocks south from newark penn, nowhere near the ncs and its in a s#$t neighborhood. Take a drive down there and see for yourself. Yea its on broad street, but behind the CNJ terminal and a few stores. I myself a very big hockey fan would not want to be hanging out around outside of that arena waiting for a game at night.

Im sure mostly politics played a huge role in the site. But either way this a rail site and i'll drop the subject of the arena.

i drove down to giants stadium and was surprised at how much has been done. The dirt is piled 20 feet high i'de say and you can definitely see where the line will be. But where will it cross berry's creek and connect to the pvl?