Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by runningwithscalpels

They use NJT equipment....
  by fl9m2004

Metro North crew from New Rochelle to New Haven and reverse
I believe NJT crew is on train too being how they're qualified south of Penn station
Not sure I've seen it so many times durning years I don't ride it
  by Backshophoss

NJT equipment run by MN T+E crews,from NY Penn to New Haven and return,the ALP-46's can change between
25/60hz with no hic-ups. MN crews are qualified by Amtrak in late aug/early sept for the run over Hellgate into
NY Penn.
  by runningwithscalpels

fl9m2004 wrote:Metro North crew from New Rochelle to New Haven and reverse
I believe NJT crew is on train too being how they're qualified south of Penn station
Not sure I've seen it so many times durning years I don't ride it
As usual you're spouting off the wrong information..

It's a decent ride if it works out with your schedule, nice change from sardine can New Haven line trains on the weekend because barely anyone rides - as long as you can deal with the whiplash from the equipment, the slack is pretty bad.
  by 4400Washboard

Last year i saw an NJT ALP46 with a line of comets approaching the hell gate bridge. I'm not 100% sure if it was the meadowlands train though
  by DutchRailnut

well since NJT only runs east of sunny side for those meadowlands trains I can 100% guarantee it.
  by MattW

At risk of sounding like another guest that asks a lot of Gateway questions, has NJT ever said if they build the Bergen loops at Secaucus (which strictly speaking aren't part of Gateway) will that enable direct NYP-Meadowlands and possibly direct New Haven Line-Meadowlands service?
  by DutchRailnut

MattW I think you better ask this question on NJT forum as no bearing on Metro North.
  by runningwithscalpels

Just saw a qualifying run through Old Greenwich heading eastbound at about 9am
  by Clean Cab

MN crews are on the NJT equipment for requalifying runs from Penn Station to New Rochelle for the next couple of weeks.
  by Bill D

runningwithscalpels wrote:Just saw a qualifying run through Old Greenwich heading eastbound at about 9am
It passed my train (#6511) headed eastbound at Harrison about 8:45 am, and later spotted it westbound over the Hell Gate Bridge at about noon. Took a couple of quick pictures, but I'm not satisfied with them.

I also did the ride to Penn last year - a nice change of scenery!

Bill
  by runningwithscalpels

Agreed, it just so worked out that I needed to be on the West Side last December for the last few runs, so I ended up taking it to NYP just for the sake of taking it. (I hate football.)

The Hell Gate is a nice change of scenery - even if it is on bouncy, whiplash-y NJT equipment!