Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Ðauntless

by ConstanceR46

I am glad to see the E10s with a secure fate and well-loved, even if Betsy Ross did not understand color theory.
  by quad50cal

Maroon. Why maroon?
  by RGlueck

It's not "maroon", it's "moron". All LIRR Diesels locos are supposed to be gray and orange.
  by DogBert

It takes some hard work and dedication to make red white & blue look like a vomit mix of colors. I would have went with recreating the 1976 scheme that the gp38's had. At least then there would be a historic nod.

And just think: 105 was repainted to a nice coat of orange and gray before leaving NY&A. It didn't need new paint. As for the rest of the fleet... any one of the mp15's could use repainting.

Still nice to see it back up and running. The talk of asbestos had me assuming they'd all end up scrapped soon.
  by scopelliti

RGlueck wrote:It's not "maroon", it's "moron". All LIRR Diesels locos are supposed to be gray and orange.
Agreed!
Better?
  by JamesRR

Hideous. Doesn't feel connected to the LIRR at all.
  by LINYARailfan

If the 105 has been nicely repainted the question becomes if the LIRR will spend the money to install cab signals and ASC in these engines so they can be used on the mainline east of Jamaica? Or will these locomotives only be restricted to Yard duty in Morris Park, Long Island City, and west of Jamaica?
  by C-LINER 2001

A bit over the top, I think it looks cool, I like it, Union Pacific would be proud!
  by Backshophoss

Lets hope they took some time to do a proper surface prep so it doesn't start peeling paint in 8-12 months.
Might take a side trip to Flatbush ave from time to time on a work train.
  by ConstanceR46

RGlueck wrote:It's not "maroon", it's "moron". All LIRR Diesels locos are supposed to be gray and orange.
...except the original black S-1s, 401, anything tichy, and anything post-1969.
  by tahawus84

Isn't this the same engine that NYA just repainted before they returned it? Dont really like it I would have thought they would repaint some of those MP15s first.
  by Bad Luck

Yes, the painter who did both of those in the orange/grey for LI is thrilled.

Three of the E15s have been repainted.
  by mirrodie

Bad Luck wrote:Yes, the painter who did both of those in the orange/grey for LI is thrilled.

Three of the E15s have been repainted.

I have to assume “thrilled” is sarcasm...

My rods and cones are burning up....